10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bitbank

bitbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I just released a public beta of SmartGear (multi-system game emulator) for Android. You can download it here:

http://bitbanksoftwa...tgear_beta.html

It supports iControlpad in SPP mode and a few others (MOGA, Zeemote, SteelSeries Free, BGP-100).

#2 OFFLINE   Avversario

Avversario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 AM
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Any chance you could port it for jailbroken iOS devices? I suppose it's not that hard?

#3 OFFLINE   EssoAir

EssoAir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Local time: 06:46 PM
  • LocationKnoxville, TN, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Any chance you could port it for jailbroken iOS devices? I suppose it's not that hard?

iOS applications are made in C/C#/Objective C

Android applications are made in Java(delvik)/Adobe AIR

You can't just magically add support for a whole new OS. It would involve the OP rewriting the entire app. Also, side note, why are you using iOS? Its a gawd awful OS.

CJ Johnson

I am a technology enthusiast. I am a huge fan of Android and use it on my phone (Snapdragon Galaxy S4), my desktop (via BlueStacks App Player), and on my 1ghz Open Pandora.

I am also in the process of learning to speak 한국어을 (Korean). Korean speakers, plz PM me.

Also, because I'm from Knoxville, GO VOLS!

#4 OFFLINE   Avversario

Avversario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

You can't just magically add support for a whole new OS. It would involve the OP rewriting the entire app. Also, side note, why are you using iOS? Its a gawd awful OS.
Butthurt? I just like it, that's all. Never had been a fan of Apple (actually I used to be a hater) but when I was in a need to get a new phone I chose to give an iPhone a chance and now it perfectly suits my needs. Of course without jailbreak it's very limited and I always jailbreak my devices. But most people don't need all those functions jailbreak offers. That's why so small amount of iOS devices get jailbroken.
PS And notice: I didn't even say anything bad about other devices.

#5 OFFLINE   bitbank

bitbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'm not a fan of i-products and don't have any plans to port it, but the important code is all written in C and ARM asm and would easily compile on iOS. If some iPhone dev offers to port it, I would be willing to consider it.

#6 OFFLINE   leathco

leathco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I purchased this one on Google Play.  Not a bad emulator at all.  I am hoping to see SNES support get added sometime.

#7 OFFLINE   crow_riot

crow_riot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM

Donator

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm not a fan of i-products and don't have any plans to port it, but the important code is all written in C and ARM asm and would easily compile on iOS. If some iPhone dev offers to port it, I would be willing to consider it.

have a 404 on the link above.

how's the license of the emulators? i have an iphone and a dev account. ... :-)

finished: audiorace | still working on: paperwars | dragonbox compo: apkenv | alive&kicking compo: flashenv

#8 OFFLINE   bitbank

bitbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

have a 404 on the link above.

how's the license of the emulators? i have an iphone and a dev account. ... :-)

I pulled down the beta page because I published it on Google Play and Amazon. At this point I'm not sure it will be worth porting to iOS. One of the more valuable aspects of SmartGear is that it supports a bunch of bluetooth controllers (now includes WiiMote). Since Apple won't allow you to create bluetooth sockets, this limits its usefulness. I'm sure there are good game emulators already available for jailbroken devices. As far as the license...I wrote every line of the code, so if I were to share the code with an iPhone developer, it would be for a revenue share. Contact me directly to continue this conversation (bitbank@pobox.com).

I purchased this one on Google Play.  Not a bad emulator at all.  I am hoping to see SNES support get added sometime.

Thanks Leathco, I appreciate your support. I'm going to post a new build later today with some fixes and support for WiiMotes. I'll return to working on the SNES code once I add transparent overlay controls. Based on the comments, it seems that this is currently the number one requested feature.

#9 ONLINE   Exophase

Exophase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3785 posts
  • Local time: 06:46 PM
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Donator

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Android applications can utilize C/C++/whatever compiled code via NDK. It needs some Java glue to interface with the OS in the same way iOS apps need ObjC glue. But this isn't necessarily a large part of the program. I guarantee you that most of the apps that are available for both platforms share a majority of their code this way. Definitely not an effort that involved rewriting the entire app.

#10 OFFLINE   bitbank

bitbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have now posted a Windows PC version of SmartGear which supports the iControlPad. This is an experimental project and it is still missing a few features from the Android version, but eventually I'll convert it to Windows 8 as well. You can download it here:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/SmartGear_PC.zip

It's a self-contained EXE with no installer. It can connect directly to the iControlPad in SPP mode (if you have bluetooth support on your PC).

Please let me know if you would like to see me continue work on this project.

Thanks,

Larry Bank

#11 OFFLINE   Avversario

Avversario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I will tell you once I receive my iCP 2... In the next two months probably ;o))))) I wonder if it's possible to wrap that emulator to work on Mac OS X.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users