14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maxheide

maxheide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'm having difficulty with the button mappings under iCade emulation. I've had an iControlPad for roughly 4+ months now. When it arrived I had to flash the controller with 2.0 to get iCade support.

At the time I mapped sensible buttons for my game and used https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS at per the recommendation.

Just recently I ordered a new controller to send to the client, however I wanted to test that everything was ok before I sent it through. I found that the controller that arrived already had iCade support, so no flashing required. Excellent. However the button mappings were totally different to my own controller.

I tried to look up what button mappings had changed with different versions, this is the key information I would like to know.
  • What is the current shipping firmware of an iCP.
  • What are the button mappings across different versions of the iCP firmware.
The only references I could find were on https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS, and helpfully they list the mappings for v2.0 and v2.1a. The only problem? The mappings for the controller that just arrived DOESNT MATCH EITHER OF THESE?!? So I honestly dont know what version of the firmware that I have is.

Right now the button mapping situation is a total mess. I'm faced with at least 3 different mappings for the iControlPad alone, then also need sensible mappings for the iCade and in a few months they will release the iCade Mobile which I expect might have a different layout again!

At this point I want to point out that I totally love the iControlPad, and its great that we can update the firmware on it. I really need to know what to do in my game though. These are some of my thoughts:
  • If someone buys an iControlPad and it already has iCade support, they are unlikely to update the firmware so really I want to support whatever the mapping is on controllers that are being released.
  • When the iCade Mobile is released, really the iControlPad should match those mappings so if they differ, then you should consider updating the mappings in a few firmware.
  • On https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS they list the 2.1a firmware as recommended, however you list it as beta and you require registration to the forum to download it. Your site lists the 2.0 firmware, so really between the two there is a mixed message. I think you should either get the 2.1a firmware to releasable and update the site or ask scarnie to change his message.
Can you help me clear this all up please?

Thanks,

Max

#2 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I think the newest shipping firmware is 2.2. The latest firmware will have the same default button mapping and you can see the two choices customers can choose from here:

const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_A_DOWN[] = {'y','k'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_A_UP[] = {'t','p'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_B_DOWN[] = {'h','o'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_B_UP[] = {'r','g'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_X_DOWN[] = {'u','l'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_X_UP[] = {'f','v'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_Y_DOWN[] = {'j','i'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_Y_UP[] = {'n','m'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_START_DOWN[] = {'o','u'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_START_UP[] = {'g','f'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_SELECT_DOWN[] = {'l','y'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_SELECT_UP[] = {'v','t'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_L_SHOULDER_DOWN[] = {'k','h'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_L_SHOULDER_UP[] = {'p','r'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_R_SHOULDER_DOWN[] = {'i','j'};
const unsigned char DEF_BUTTON_R_SHOULDER_UP[] = {'m','n'};

The dpad mapping never changes. There were three mappings. v2.0 was the first one that got tweaked slightly to make a few of the buttons map better to existing games. The third one is the default with the ability to select the second one by holding different buttons down at power up. The first one in this set is default (y,t,h,r....etc).

#3 OFFLINE   maxheide

maxheide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for your concise reply. I have a new question, where can I get ahold of 2.2 to install on my other pad? Will you be updating the site to point towards 2.2? Currently the support page (http://www.icontrolpad.com/support/) makes reference to 2.0.

Thanks,

Max

#4 OFFLINE   Rocky5

Rocky5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

You can find 2.3 here this should be getting pushed for official release soon.
http://boards.openpa...post__p__125398

#5 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 04:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

I'm having difficulty with the button mappings under iCade emulation. I've had an iControlPad for roughly 4+ months now. When it arrived I had to flash the controller with 2.0 to get iCade support.

At the time I mapped sensible buttons for my game and used https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS at per the recommendation.

Just recently I ordered a new controller to send to the client, however I wanted to test that everything was ok before I sent it through. I found that the controller that arrived already had iCade support, so no flashing required. Excellent. However the button mappings were totally different to my own controller.

I tried to look up what button mappings had changed with different versions, this is the key information I would like to know.

• What is the current shipping firmware of an iCP.
  • What are the button mappings across different versions of the iCP firmware.
The only references I could find were on https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS, and helpfully they list the mappings for v2.0 and v2.1a. The only problem? The mappings for the controller that just arrived DOESNT MATCH EITHER OF THESE?!? So I honestly dont know what version of the firmware that I have is.

Right now the button mapping situation is a total mess. I'm faced with at least 3 different mappings for the iControlPad alone, then also need sensible mappings for the iCade and in a few months they will release the iCade Mobile which I expect might have a different layout again!

At this point I want to point out that I totally love the iControlPad, and its great that we can update the firmware on it. I really need to know what to do in my game though. These are some of my thoughts:
  • If someone buys an iControlPad and it already has iCade support, they are unlikely to update the firmware so really I want to support whatever the mapping is on controllers that are being released.
  • When the iCade Mobile is released, really the iControlPad should match those mappings so if they differ, then you should consider updating the mappings in a few firmware.
  • On https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS they list the 2.1a firmware as recommended, however you list it as beta and you require registration to the forum to download it. Your site lists the 2.0 firmware, so really between the two there is a mixed message. I think you should either get the 2.1a firmware to releasable and update the site or ask scarnie to change his message.
Can you help me clear this all up please?

Thanks,

Max

2.2 and 2.3 are definitely different when you start in A/B/X+START mode and this is why they don't match my SDK. If you start iCP with A/B/Y+START, you get the same mapping as my SDK and v2.1a firmware. I vote for the 2.1a layout as being the only one that is supported, to avoid confusion. It most sensibly matches the iCADE button layout, and is also matches other game controllers on the market.

Thoughts?
manomio | in retro we trust!

#6 OFFLINE   David994A

David994A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I agree with Stu. The new mapping in 2.2 (and 2.3) really broke things. I think most if not all people developing appstore apps were using Stu's iCade SDK. Does anyone know how many units shipped with 2.2? Does anyone know if any appstore apps use the 2.2/2.3 mapping?

We (the devs) need a way to communicate this to the appstore customers. An obvious place to put this information is in the app's Appstore description but unfortunately most people don't read the app's description in the appstore.

It sounds like there are units out there with three different mappings. It would be good to standardize on the 2.1a (2.2 alternate mapping).

#7 OFFLINE   dark_player0

dark_player0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I disagree with stu because for my part i've noticed that apps made on cydia like gpsphone uses a different mapping with the icade emulation

for now im on the 2.1a fw and gpsphone works just fine with buttons at the right place, but when i play a game like super mega worm or league of evil, it seems like the main buttons ( jump, attack ect.) are mapped at the ''L'' ''R'' button on the ICP and makes the game unplayable or harder to play.

So if i understand what is said about fw 2.3 is that if i update to it, then i should enter in 2 different mapping mode for the icade emulation and should probably solve my issue

So i'll try right away and i'm really please that that thaught off that casue i was wandering if that was a possible way to solve my problem and it seems like i'm not the only one who's having this issue

#8 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, I must admit the mapping attempts are all really trials so far. No one really takes the concept that serious. Dave and Stu are the only two people I have ever seen trying to standardize it and to be honest, I don't really care for the whole 'just use iCade mode' anyway. It should be 'just use iCP mode'!!! :)

It would be nice if there was a default mode every app used but it hasn't happened. The result is having to hold different buttons to get different mappings and I could try to make even more mappings but it doesn't solve the problem you guys bring up in here.

#9 OFFLINE   lauracurnowasw007

lauracurnowasw007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 AM

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

I faced the same problem. I have been able to resolve it now.

Travel Expense Reporting

#10 OFFLINE   lauracurnowasw007

lauracurnowasw007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

icontrolipad is my favourite. How can I install 2.3 on my other pad?

Wholesale Distributors

#11 OFFLINE   RodrigoCard

RodrigoCard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

Eek, look these pics:
http://www.engadget....review/#5037567
http://www.engadget....review/#5037567

Acording to the 2.3 mapping, the shoulder buttons of this thing corresponds to iControlPad's face buttons. ¬¬
So, expect lots of app store games with start/select/L/R mapped to main actions...

MORE MESS =/

My Mac OS X apps:
Joystick Mapper - map keyboard/mouse to gamepads
Joystick Show - gamepad visualizer/tester

#12 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Give this a shot and see if it helps things:

http://boards.openpa..._80#entry163656

#13 OFFLINE   lauracurnowasw007

lauracurnowasw007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

Yes, the newest shipping firmware is 2.2 and it has the default button mapping options.
moving company

#14 OFFLINE   RodrigoCard

RodrigoCard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Give this a shot and see if it helps things:

http://boards.openpa..._80#entry163656

yes this helps.

Anyway, are these posts from Laura spam? Pretty interesting way to not look like spam =P

My Mac OS X apps:
Joystick Mapper - map keyboard/mouse to gamepads
Joystick Show - gamepad visualizer/tester

#15 OFFLINE   warburn

warburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

hello, is it possibe to create a alternate icade mode for snes emulateur hidden in remote file manager?

thank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users