At the time I mapped sensible buttons for my game and used https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS at per the recommendation.
Just recently I ordered a new controller to send to the client, however I wanted to test that everything was ok before I sent it through. I found that the controller that arrived already had iCade support, so no flashing required. Excellent. However the button mappings were totally different to my own controller.
I tried to look up what button mappings had changed with different versions, this is the key information I would like to know.
- What is the current shipping firmware of an iCP.
- What are the button mappings across different versions of the iCP firmware.
Right now the button mapping situation is a total mess. I'm faced with at least 3 different mappings for the iControlPad alone, then also need sensible mappings for the iCade and in a few months they will release the iCade Mobile which I expect might have a different layout again!
At this point I want to point out that I totally love the iControlPad, and its great that we can update the firmware on it. I really need to know what to do in my game though. These are some of my thoughts:
- If someone buys an iControlPad and it already has iCade support, they are unlikely to update the firmware so really I want to support whatever the mapping is on controllers that are being released.
- When the iCade Mobile is released, really the iControlPad should match those mappings so if they differ, then you should consider updating the mappings in a few firmware.
- On https://github.com/scarnie/iCade-iOS they list the 2.1a firmware as recommended, however you list it as beta and you require registration to the forum to download it. Your site lists the 2.0 firmware, so really between the two there is a mixed message. I think you should either get the 2.1a firmware to releasable and update the site or ask scarnie to change his message.