So some people suggested it should be easier to browse and create PNDs as there currently is no way to properly create them on Windows (without fighting with cmd.exe) and you can only use 7-zip to view, but not edit, them (though there is nothing wrong with).
Because of that I present
PNDTools (in the lack of a better name)
which is a simple and easy-to-understand GUI for opening, browsing, editing and creating PND files (as well as PXML files in the future).
What does it do?
- It can open a PND and display its contents in a tree structure
- You can then extract data from the PND or add new stuff
- It extracts the PXML and icon data
- You can create a new PND from scratch or modify an existing one and save the result again as a PND
- It has options
- GUI for viewing and editing the PXML file
- Partial PXML validation
- PXML Creation wizard
What does it currently not do? (aka things on the todo-list)
- Full PXML file validation check
What will it (probably) never do?
- Have a browsing interface as good as 7-zip's and the same functionality
This is a beta release, so a lot of bugs are to be expected and the program has a few known "quirks":
- Currently it calls chmod 755 on all the PND data to ensure all necessary files are given the "executable" flag, this works, but obviously is not the "nice" way to do it
- You will need to place it somewhere it has direct write access or execute the Program as administrator
- It needs half of the cygwin dlls and the cygwin chmod because Windows does not know the "executable" file-flag (well it does, but modifying is very complicated and calling chmod was easier to do for now)
- Only for Windows atm!
- Drag&Drop is always recursive
Download it here (Windows only)
To "install" just extract the contents of the archive anywhere (the program will have write access, see above).
Current version: 0.7.0 built 23.04.2013
Source: Public GIT --- ZIP (master branch, automatically generated by github)
Beta: none currently
pndtools01.png 58.68K 31 downloads
pndtools02.png 62.33K 39 downloads
Easy PXML Creator:
pndtools_creator01.png 41.43K 34 downloads pndtools_creator02.png 45.88K 31 downloads
How it works:
When creating a PND no actual data is handled until you press the "Create PND" button, after which it will copy all data to a folder called "temp" and then call chmod and mksquashfs on that.
When opening a PND it will extract (unsquashfs) the contents to a folder called "temp2" and adds that folder to the tree-view, also it extracts the PXML and icon to a folder called "meta".
If you want to access the data contained in the PND you can simply copy it from those folders.
The folders are located next to the program exe and will be wiped before each respective operation.
Please try it, but be careful when doing so - I am not to be held responsible when data is lost or damaged, make back-ups.
Any bug report, feature request, layout request, general comment or anything else is greatly appreciated
Also the program currently uses the default Delphi-icon, which looks pretty shitty, a proper replacement icon would be great
Edited by foxblock, 23 April 2013 - 12:07 AM.