UPDATE: Date has been changed. Submissions will now run until 1st April. Votes will be counted until 8th April.
Total Pot Money = £243.58 AND A PAINTED CASE!!
- Homebrew competition focused on platformers
- Prize money, prize money will be given to me eg. You post below saying "£5" then PM me for my paypal and then I'll come back here and say "Whats his face, confirmed 5 squids payment via paypal, total pot money is £40". This is not up for discussion. I understand people feeling a bit wary as to giving essentially a stranger your money but try to bare in mind I want to see a load of games on the pandora as much as anyone and a little bit of trust has to be in place in any community otherwise these competitions can never happen. I hope people feel they can trust to this competition and if you don't trust so much as to not want to donate £40...why not just put in £5 or even £1? Then end of Feb when winners have their money and are happy I can do another one and you guys will know I'm not out to steal your cash. Also I am happy for a more senior member on here to play bank manager. I've messaged both Evil Dragon and Gruso.
- Competition ends Last day of March.
- One vote per user
- As a dev you can submit as many games as you like however you can only vote for one
- You can vote for your own project
- A Minimum of three levels (if the style of gameplay denotes that "levels" aren't needed I will let this go by the by)
- The term platformer is deliberately ambiguous however just use your own judgement. We're all seasoned gamers so a game with platforming elements will probably be allowed.
- I won't interfere with the project but this is a homebrew competition so I will not qualify ports into this competition. Would like to see some nice new, pandora specific homebrew games
- Votes are counted within this thread and can be submitted by anyone
- You can release your game on Open Handhelds for eg. then come in here and say "Submission: Final hadouken 3, www.openhandhelds.com/finalhadouken3" and this will be considered your submission
- Votes are counted thusly, KingBob Posts "Vote for final hadouken 3". I will ask the Mods on here to check accounts for dupe IP's.
- Submissions close on 1/4/2011 at 00:00 gmt. votes will continue to be cast until the 7th marApil ch so ideally devs should aim to submit on the 28th giving them a full month.
- Pot gets split 50 percent to the winner, 30 percent to 2nd place and 20 percent to 3rd place.
RichiZ donating £5.
Total Pot Money = £5
PLEASE READ THE FAQ BELOW BEFORE POSTING IN HERE
I'm not too keen on giving a stranger my money, can we make this official?
- No, making it official would be great but realistically, do the OP team have time to do it? I don't mean to be rude but the App store needs a helluva lot of work, do they have time to run a competition? I on the other hand, have net at my house, on my phone and at my work meaning I can respond to any queries instantly. Saying that I'm happy for ED or Gruso to play bank manager. I just want to see a bunch of cool games come out for the Panda and for those that have worked hard at it to have a little treat to show that we appreciate their work. Whats more this competition is only running for the next 31 days. I'm sure by then when everyone has received their prize money and at least a lot less sceptical of me then OP can start an official one and if not I'll consider starting a new one maybe as a free for all (depending on how much hassle this one is)
- As I've had little experience in running competitions and I like platformers. The competition ends in Feb as that's a fairly short time and at the end I can gauge if it's a success and whether it's worth running another. Platformers can be knocked up in a few weeks by people with reasonable programming experience so we should get a few coming in. The fact the rules are submitting a platformer will also decrease the submissions making the competition a little bit more manageable. The idea is I would maybe be willing to tackle a larger competition (IE.any app, any game, highest votes wins) after I can call doing 1 or 2 competitions a success. By that time also, I will be trusted (as winners will have received all their money end of Feb) and I would feel more comfortable handling larger amounts of cash. So if you do feel you have an awesome app or game, perfect it and consider submitting it when I (provided this goes well) knock up another comp in March
- This forum might be a democracy but you're in my thread now. If you have an idea worth seriously discussing send me a PM and I'll consider adjusting the competition. There is ALWAYS a better way to do something and no doubt my competition is a long winded arse ache but the truth of the matter is it's better to do a job a long winded way than to sit around discussing it and doing nothing at all.
- Again it's not ideal and is a long winded way but here's what you do. You post below Bob30 "submitting £10". You then PM me saying "submitting £10". I'll reply to you with my paypal email address. You'll then transfer £10 to my paypal. I'll then come back onto this thread reply to your original post and say "confirmed". The pot money in this post will then be adjusted accordingly. I will not change the pot money figure until I have received the money into my account.
[*]Don't be, you release your emulator today and you'll still totally fine to submit it in March's comp which will (providing this goes well)be a free for all for apps/games and ports.[/list]
I also think you may have trouble with people willing to donate prize money to a complete stranger on the internet. I'm sure YOU know you're a trustworthy guy, but how does everyone else?(ManlyStump)
- I know there's no way round it though. What would you propose? (rhetorical)
I set the competition to a platforming one for pretty much that reason though. I don't expect to get anywhere near the wiz comp(2600 euros i think). At the end of the day I would prefer it if there was a magical receptacle we could all chuck our money in and just KNOW it's gonna go to the winners. Some things though just have to be trusted. Whats more when people pay me via paypal you'll see my full name and address? It's not the best scam so far is it? I'm pretty sure if I was inclined to steal peoples cash, I wouldn't set it to a platforming comp, I wouldnt set it to a way once you've paid even 1 penny you can see my full name and address and more importantly I'd probably be on a PSP forum. (given the millions of psp owners and the what, 1200 people with pandoras?)
But if 19 people donated a fiver the pot money is £100...so I'd call the competition a success. The winner then get's a nice £50 with 2nd and 3rd getting something little as well and we all get some nice platforming games.
I know when you first read the post your a bit like "what, this sounds like Obaagadagwindgo off FoneJacker". But when you logically think about it...it's a pretty sh*t way of ripping people off.
wasting time on artwork? Why not ask or browse the large selection available for use?
DO NOT POST BELOW UNLESS YOU ARE EITHER VOTING, SUBMITTING A GAME OR DONATING TO THE POT MONEY.