#1 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 PM
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I thought this deserved a sticky, as it's coming up quite often. Credit goes to N.S. for his excellent guide, however I've re-written the below a little bit:

I just had this "problem", this is what you need to do EXACTLY.

1. Go into Settings on your iPhone.

2. Go to "BTstack" and tap on "iOS" bluetooth, not "BTstack", but the bluetooth thing called IOS! You can turn on that Bluetooth there or in your Bluetooth settings.

3. Turn on your iControlpad in iCade mode, u do this by holding down A+B+X+START... let go when it starts blinking.

4. Now go to your Bluetooth settings, navigate to "General" and then "Bluetooth" in the Settings app.

5. When you are in Bluetooth settings page it will now scan for Bluetooth devices, your iControlpad will pop up, tap on it and wait until it says "connected".

6. Now hit your home button and start iMAME4all. Once it's started, just press on your D-Pad or other buttons; a message will popup, dismiss it and now you are connected with the emulator!

7. Use your iCP now to choose a game to play... and enjoy!

The next time you perform step #5 above, you might not be able to reconnect to your iCP in BT settings. To do so:

1) Delete/Forget the iControlPad already paired (which you connected to before)
2) Let Bluetooth Settings re-pair with your iControlPad

You can delete/forget it by tapping the ">" button to the right of the iControlPad device in the list and hitting "Forget".

Gadgetoid.com - Tech reviews 'n' stuff!

#2 OFFLINE   kaziebo

kaziebo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Local time: 06:40 PM
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

All we need now is someone who's willin' to make a video of it, so you can post the embedded video underneath ;)
"If you can't explain something to a six year-old, you really don't understand it yourself."
- Albert Einstein -

#3 OFFLINE   N.S.

N.S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:44 AM

:D

But yea, first time with iMAME4all & iPhone gets kindof confusing without knowing exactly what to do, need to know these steps, its really not complicated at all, goes pretty fast, but still weirdly confusing at first. A Video would be even better and faster to understand though, i would give it a shot if i had a cam (obviously wont be able to use iphones cam in the process? :P).

Another thing that got confusing aswell is getting the correct roms, which roms does iMAME4all support, i wont tell where you can get them, but here is the gamelist of supported games: http://code.google.c...l/wiki/GameList

To know exactly what kindof ROM NAME files imame4all wants you can see here, its based on older MAME version 0.37B5: http://mamerominfo.r...s/diffv37b5.txt

#4 OFFLINE   Paradroyd

Paradroyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

This works perfectly on my iPad 2, but for some odd reason, step 5 -

5. When you are in Bluetooth settings page it will now scan for Bluetooth devices, your iControlpad will pop up, tap on it and wait until it says "connected".

- never happens on my jailbroken 2nd gen iPod touch. The iControlpad just never shows up in the device list, no matter what I do or what mode I put the ICP in (the firmware been successfully flashed to firmware 2.0).

Since the ICP works on my iPad 2 and even better on my EVO Shift 4G, I'm pretty certain that the problem is not there. Of course the iPod touch is the thing I've got iMame4all installed on and it actually fits in version 1 of the clamps that the ICP came with, so getting that to work would be nice.

#5 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

This works perfectly on my iPad 2, but for some odd reason, step 5 -

- never happens on my jailbroken 2nd gen iPod touch. The iControlpad just never shows up in the device list, no matter what I do or what mode I put the ICP in (the firmware been successfully flashed to firmware 2.0).

Since the ICP works on my iPad 2 and even better on my EVO Shift 4G, I'm pretty certain that the problem is not there. Of course the iPod touch is the thing I've got iMame4all installed on and it actually fits in version 1 of the clamps that the ICP came with, so getting that to work would be nice.

Does the 2nd gen iPod touch have HID support? I'm not sure. But without HID support ( which the iPhone 3G also lacks ) it won't work.

This information should probably go into the compatibility post and on the website!

#6 OFFLINE   Paradroyd

Paradroyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Another thing that got confusing aswell is getting the correct roms, which roms does iMAME4all support, i wont tell where you can get them, but here is the gamelist of supported games: http://code.google.c...l/wiki/GameList

To know exactly what kind of ROM NAME files imame4all wants you can see here, its based on older MAME version 0.37B5: http://mamerominfo.r...s/diffv37b5.txt

For what it's worth, one thing I've noticed is that iMame4all seems to use a pretty similar (if not exactly the same) rom set to what is used on the GP2X Wiz version of Mame4all. Everything I've tried from that set has just worked so far. If you happen to already have that set up, you can just copy them from there.

#7 OFFLINE   Paradroyd

Paradroyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

Does the 2nd gen iPod touch have HID support? I'm not sure. But without HID support ( which the iPhone 3G also lacks ) it won't work.

This information should probably go into the compatibility post and on the website!

That is a really good point..I hadn't thought of that. It may well not. I have the apple BT keyboard that I use occasionally with my iPad 2. I'll see if I can get that to show up in the list. If it doesn't, then that's probably it. I'll post the results back here shortly.

#8 OFFLINE   Paradroyd

Paradroyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Ok.. here's what I found. You were right. Out of the box, the 2nd Gen iPod touch seems to have no HID support. I tried to connect my apple BT keyboard to it and got the same result. It just never shows up in the list. So I did some digging and found that there is a program / driver available through Cydia called "BTstack keyboard" by a guy named Matthias Ringwald that was meant to fill this gap. Unfortunately, it's not free, it's $5.00, but I went ahead and bought & installed it. Now the iControlpad (and my Apple keyboard) show up.

Now here's the next hurdle (which I haven't gotten past yet). This driver requires authentication for pairing. Apparently, it wants me to enter the authentication string from the "keyboard" I've just attached (in this case, the iControlpad). Typing the pairing string is easy on the Apple keyboard, but not so much on the iControlpad. In fact, it doesn't give me a chance to anyway. It connects, pops the authentication requester, then fails without me touching anything. I've tried this in several different iControlpad modes, and they all give exactly the same result.

Seems like the only way I'm going to get this to work is if I can figure out some way to turn off the authentication requirement, wherever that's coming from.

At least I know what's going on now though.

Thanks for the input. I'll post if I get any further with this.

#9 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:35 AM

This compatibility table claims that the second generation iPod Touch supports HID with the latest iOS: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

If BTstack keyboard could send 1234 to devices it reads as iContolPad,it might well help. However, I'm not sure if it would work with iCade supporting apps. In theory it should. Might be worth emailing the dev.

Users who aren't jail broken are likely SOL, though. The iPhone 3G in particular.

#10 OFFLINE   promisedplanet

promisedplanet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

At the risk of bringing all manner of holy hell down upon my newbie head, I ask this question:

How do I get iCP to map its buttons to those in iMame4All? I've attempted to research the answer but don't quite understand the relevant posts I've found. :-}

I have iMame4all installed on my jailbroken iPod Touch 3rd gen, and have flashed my iCP with the V2.0 firmware. I followed the excellent guide at the top of this thread to get my iCP paired, and get MAME running in iCade mode.

My buttons are mapped as follows (iCP => iMame4All):

Start => Coin
A => B
Y => Y randomly (sometimes doesn't do anything)
B => Start
X => X
L => A
R => Y

Thanks in advance.

P.S. May or may not be relevant, but I was never asked for the "1234" code for pairing. I used a Rocketfish Bluetooth adapter on Win XP Home to flash the firmware.

#11 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

At the risk of bringing all manner of holy hell down upon my newbie head, I ask this question:

How do I get iCP to map its buttons to those in iMame4All? I've attempted to research the answer but don't quite understand the relevant posts I've found. :-}

At the moment you can't remap the keys, as far as I know. I feel your pain, though, I've tried to play Metal Slug, which seems to use the Start+Select buttons for Jump/Fire... aarrrgghh! Playable, but painful!

#12 OFFLINE   icedtrip

icedtrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 PM
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

At the moment you can't remap the keys, as far as I know. I feel your pain, though, I've tried to play Metal Slug, which seems to use the Start+Select buttons for Jump/Fire... aarrrgghh! Playable, but painful!

Hmm....that's odd, for Metal Slug, my A and X buttons are mapped to Jump and Fire (can't remember which is which off the top of my head). Start is coin, and B is start. I'm using the alternate firmware that changed a few of the buttons, but can't remember which version of the beta firmware ended up in the 2.0 version.

#13 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hmm....that's odd, for Metal Slug, my A and X buttons are mapped to Jump and Fire (can't remember which is which off the top of my head). Start is coin, and B is start. I'm using the alternate firmware that changed a few of the buttons, but can't remember which version of the beta firmware ended up in the 2.0 version.

You must be using what will end up as 2.1, presumably? Or a candidate for 2.0. I haven't tried it yet. It'll be sorted sooner or later, see the pinned thread on the subject.

#14 OFFLINE   icedtrip

icedtrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 PM
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

You must be using what will end up as 2.1, presumably? Or a candidate for 2.0. I haven't tried it yet. It'll be sorted sooner or later, see the pinned thread on the subject.

The firmware I'm running is the one posted here: http://boards.openpa...7793#entry77793 , which swapped the A with Start and X with Select, which matches up with your Start and Select buttons being used as Fire and Jump vs my A and X being used as Fire and Jump.

Just read through the pinned thread and my brain just about exploded trying to keep all the mappings in my head....so out came the pad and pen to the rescue. I'll add to that conversation as well when I get a chance. Since my bias so far leans toward the Neo Geo games, mapping of the Neo Geo A B C D buttons to the iCP A Y X B buttons in some configuration would be ideal for me, but it wouldn't be a good match necessarily for duplicating the buttons on the iCade.

As it stands now, for the Neo Geo games, the firmware I'm running maps like this:

A = A (Metal Slug - Fire)
B = X (Metal Slug - Jump)
C = L.Sh (Metal Slug - Grenade)
D = R.Sh (Metal Slug - Not Used)
Coin = Start
Start = B

This works OK for Metal Slug, since only the Grenade is on a shoulder button and most of your action on the A and X buttons, but not too well for all the SNK fighting games (Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters, etc) since it places 2 action buttons on the front facing buttons (A and X) and the other 2 action buttons on the shoulder buttons. Ideally, iMAME4All needs to allow you to re-map buttons inside the app since so many arcade systems are emulated, and therefore so many different possible button configs.

Again, I'll add to the other thread once I get a chance to re-read and put some thoughts together, but I like where it is headed for now.

#15 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Be sure to add to the discussion here http://boards.openpa...button-mapping/ to help me come up with the button configuration for firmware 2.1.

I could possibly make two configurations that are selectable by different button combinations on power up if that is really necessary.

#16 OFFLINE   Prophet_RG

Prophet_RG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

What is really needed is direct iCP support in iMAME4all IMO.

Has the author of the port been contacted about that at all? Maybe send him an iCP?

For that matter, the source is available (or should be) since it's MAME -- maybe an iCP dev could add the support and send the code changes to the author?

For one thing, then we'd maybe gain the ability to use the analogs as well.

#17 OFFLINE   DirtyBeagles

DirtyBeagles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Has anyone seen the updates for iMAME4all sense this last post?

I was playing XMEN on ipad 1 with icontrolpad in A+X+B mode and noticed that button A was attack, button B was jump and L.sh was Super.

I have been working to figure out how to change L.sh for Super to Button Y on the icontrolpad, but each time I went into menu from inside an active ROM and then to Input (general), I noticed that P1 Button 3 used the SPACE or J1 JostickButton.

I was reading a ton of Forums on both icontrolpad and iMAME4all and there was not a good indication if anything has changed with the button mapping. Found this article with some key layouts, but not sure what the RED or BLUE keys mean. http://boards.openpa...th-icontrolpad/

I also found that when I was in a game and went to Input (general), and I went to this P1 Button 3 key and pressed B on the icontrolpad, then hit Y button on icontrolpad, I would get this "ENTER or ENTER J1 JoystickButton J2 JoystickButton J3 JoystickButton J4 JoystickButton" which is the same thing this person was getting: http://code.google.c...es/detail?id=19

In the article, seleuco....@gmail.com said that this error was normal: "Don't be fooled with the message showed, the buttons is mapping really.. IMame has mapped various joys and the concrete buttons is not showed well."

I did try just that, and I am still not able to Change the L.sh SUPER Attack button to my Y Button on my icontrolpad.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

#18 OFFLINE   tesla007

tesla007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Is it possible to play Imame4all with more than one icp ? I can pair two or more wii controller without problems ... But not more then one icp .

Thank you !

#19 OFFLINE   basis

basis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I just received my iCP. I'm having problems with the buttom mappings with iMame4All. I've followed the above instructions and can pair the ICP and iMame4All. I'm trying to see how to change the buttom mappings so that the mappings are:

iCP - on screen buttons
a - a
x - x
y - a
b -b

The d-pad works fine. I boot the iCP up with a+x+b+start. I'm running iMame4All 1.10 September 22, 2011 (latest on Cydia). I've tried with iCP and iCade modes in iMame4all, but neither map correctly. I've listed below what I'm seeing with each mode. Does anyone have any .cfg files that I could ssh to override? I'm not sure what firmware I've got on the iCP, but I just received this July 2012. I tried snes9x ex and it maps perfectly (I realize this is completely different). Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

iMame4All is set to iCP

iCP - on screen buttons
select - x
start - b
a - coin
b - nothing?
x - start
y - nothing?
l - nothing?
r - y

iMame4All is set to iCade

iCP - on screen buttons