#1 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

BTW, Flashback with iCP on my iPhone is awesome!

Are you using the iCP in iCade mode or still the packet mode?

iCADE mode.

On that note, I think the mapping between the iCADE and the iCP are awkward based on the layout of the controls.

The iCADE button layout is as follows:

A C E G
B D F H

We can look at the iCADE as having two banks, A B C D and E F G H. With that in mind, I came up with the following mapping, which keeps the orientation of the buttons closer to their equivalents on the iCP and also grouped together. A/C and B/D buttons are side by side, so I mapped the SELECT/START and L/R shoulders respectively. For the E F G H group, they are in a square:

E G
F H

We can think of the iCP as the same, just slightly rotated into a diamond:

Y B
A X

This brings us to the final mapping of:

A = SELECT
C = START
B = L-SHOULDER
D = R-SHOULDER

E = Y
G = B
H = X
F = A

Thoughts?
manomio | in retro we trust!

#2 OFFLINE   alfrank

alfrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

A = SELECT
C = START
B = L-SHOULDER
D = R-SHOULDER

E = Y
G = B
H = X
F = A

Thoughts?

Which would look like this on the iCade:

Select Start Y B
L-Sh. R-Sh. A X

This does indeed make more sense than the current layout, EFGH are the same as it's mapped in iMAME4all, and your new ABCD-mapping is better than iMAME's, because the shoulder-buttons are now arranged horizontally.

The sooner the mapping in the iCP-Firmware is changed the better...

#3 OFFLINE   David994A

David994A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 AM
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

It seems to me that one would be more inclined to use iCade buttons ABCD than EFGH - with that in mind I would map the ABXY buttons of the iControlPad to the iCade's ABCE buttons.

(of course I just released Interstellar Force with whatever mapping you had in the iCade SDK prior to this)

#4 OFFLINE   alfrank

alfrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

For comparison, the current iCP-mapping imho looks like this on the iCade:

Start Select R-Sh. A
B Y L-Sh. X

Which really seems kinda wild...

#5 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

The current (and even slightly modified to work with MAME) setups are just experimental to get the ball rolling. I had asked for some feedback on what it should be and now you guys are providing it which is great! :)

I'd like to come up with a final mapping for firmware 2.1 and so everyone's input based on games they are playing from the app store in iCade mode is welcome. Perhaps a mod should split it into a new topic or we can keep derailing this one. ;)

EDIT: The idea that each developer should make their controls re-mappable was the other solution but I'd like to come up with this default pattern that is useful from the start and known to everyone. The current problem (I think) from what I might be reading is that some games are mapping the buttons closest to the joystick while others are using the buttons at the other end. I agree with the suggestions above that the ABXY buttons should end up on the buttons farthest from the joystick.

#6 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

The current (and even slightly modified to work with MAME) setups are just experimental to get the ball rolling. I had asked for some feedback on what it should be and now you guys are providing it which is great! :)

I'd like to come up with a final mapping for firmware 2.1 and so everyone's input based on games they are playing from the app store in iCade mode is welcome. Perhaps a mod should split it into a new topic or we can keep derailing this one. ;)

EDIT: The idea that each developer should make their controls re-mappable was the other solution but I'd like to come up with this default pattern that is useful from the start and known to everyone. The current problem (I think) from what I might be reading is that some games are mapping the buttons closest to the joystick while others are using the buttons at the other end. I agree with the suggestions above that the ABXY buttons should end up on the buttons farthest from the joystick.

Thanks MWeston, and really appreciate your patience! I hadn't really been testing the mappings between the two until now :)

The iCADE is fairly large, and the buttons are comfortable to use on the side, so I think it is a good default setup. I agree individual games can add remapping support if they wish. I'll be happy to test the changes :)

Cheers,

Stu

#7 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

A minor alteration to the mapping of the right bank:

E G
F H

Since the A/B will most likely be used as left / right fires, perhaps a better layout is:

Y X
A B

A = SELECT
C = START
B = L-SHOULDER
D = R-SHOULDER

E = Y
F = A
G = X
H = B

Which I think is better.

#8 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hey Stu,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I like your idea from post #81 better personally. I hope others will jump in and make some more comments on this.

#9 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hey Stu,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I like your idea from post #81 better personally. I hope others will jump in and make some more comments on this.

No worries, and welcome!

The reason I changed my idea a little was I have an iCADE and iCP here, and just felt that A/B could be used as a L/R action. Honestly, #81 is still fine by me, as they share a much more comfortable proximity to the iCADE, which is pretty essential since we have no way of detecting the devices.

Seems a few responded to #81, so I'd be happy to test that configuration anytime.

Cheers,

Stu

#10 OFFLINE   alfrank

alfrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

Please stay with the version from post #81, it's more like iCade...

#11 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:17 AM

Please stay with the version from post #81, it's more like iCade...

I agree, I'm more than happy with #81 too

#12 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

Your very own topic, and a pin. Use it well. Looking forward to trying out a beta firmware.

Gadgetoid.com - Tech reviews 'n' stuff!

#13 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Your very own topic, and a pin. Use it well. Looking forward to trying out a beta firmware.

It looks like everyone is happy with "#81", which is now the first one in this thread.

#14 OFFLINE   DiThi

DiThi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

I may be wrong but... doesn't the iCade send different keys when pushing or releasing a key?

According to this: http://www.ionaudio....source_v1.3.pdf when you push the H button, an R is pushed when released. What I don't know if the H is kept pushed until it's released... in that case there shouldn't be a problem with using the press-down keys only.

#15 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hi all,

Notice there hasn't been any movement on this thread for a while. Will there be a firmware update using this new mapping?

Cheers,

Stu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users