Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3022 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 PM
  • LocationRotherham, UK

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

and if so how do you charge it at home?
minipandalogo.png Pandora Repo - software for your pandora :)

btn_donate_SM.gif If you like my site/contributions, consider donating.
Prometheus.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

I do own (rent) a Nissan Leaf.

I don't charge it at home, although I could if I wanted to (you just plug it in).

Newcastle (and the area around) is a test bed for electric vehicles and we have hundreds of chargers being installed all over the region.

So far I've just used the fast charger at the MetroCentre which charges the car up in 20mins or so, which is free.

I'll probably try the slow chargers next time I go to town as the parking is free at them, as is the electricity.

So far very good, driving an electric car is like the change between dial up and broadband, bizarre to do 0-60 in total silence, so easy to speed due
to there being no engine noise and instant torque. Nissan have artificially limited the cars acceleration to give bigger range, but the torque is still
amazing from stand still.

I'll probably make a video review of the car when I have some spare time.

#3 OFFLINE   ensoniq2k

ensoniq2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationKaiserslautern, Germany

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

I'm so jealous. I wish i could drive such a car with good charging support in germany.

I saw a Tesla Roadster a few days ago, it is really amazing how silent it is. In my opinion gas driven cars are a legacy that should vanish from our streets as fast as possible.

#4 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

I have to say, if the charging network was not here I'd not have got the car, but with no running costs and the fact all the money spent renting the car can be reclaimed via a very generous government incentive program it's just too good to miss!

The car is almost free, and the first new car I've ever had.

#5 OFFLINE   Mosschops

Mosschops

Advanced Member

• Supporter
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 PM
  • LocationWilmslow, UK

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

I have to say, if the charging network was not here I'd not have got the car, but with no running costs and the fact all the money spent renting the car can be reclaimed via a very generous government incentive program it's just too good to miss!

more importantly... how nice does it smell?
and btw everyones got it wrong, you now look like a young Ed Tudor Pole rather than that halfwit Sheen

#6 OFFLINE   ensoniq2k

ensoniq2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hopefully this car will therefore not catch fire as your previous ones did :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   MarioPandio

MarioPandio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • LocationHalf way up the stair

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

Better not with all those Li-Ion batteries...YIKES Posted Image

Congrats on the car Craig, its very pleasing to see more of the main manufacturers finally start to produce these vehicles again, even if many of them are deliberately made to look like flying saucers or hideous enough to turn most people off them. The advent of the EV1 and the RAV4 EV were awesome cars and its a crime that they scrapped those programs, advertised them so badly and made it almost impossible to rent one, all seemingly on purpose. The Texaco-Chevron group also bought up the patents to produce big enough Li-Ion batteries and then ceased making them in another attempt to stem these cars, seemingly to appease the oil lobby.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037/

"This wasn't the first time the electric car was killed. One hundred years ago, there were more electrics on the road than there were gas cars. For many people, electric cars were the car of choice. They were quite and smooth and could be charged at home. Gas cars by comparison required cranking and produced exhaust."
Who Killed the Electric Car? is a 2006 documentary film that explores the birth, limited commercialization, and subsequent death of the battery electric vehicle in the United States, specifically theGeneral Motors EV1 of the 1990s. The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology. (Excerpt from Wikipedia)

Please visit the official website for more information:
http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com

http://sprword.com/videos/whokilled/ Watch online here.

Finally the sequel has also been released (for cinema screenings only at present though Posted Image)
http://www.revengeof...lectriccar.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413496/
"There comes a time when it makes you so sick at heart that you can no longer take part.... unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from running at all!"

"The transparently pretend friend to animals and definitely not a fkn rat, Shade of Pink (if correctly lewd) RedBaron of nonsense loony round the cream bun and decidedly murky grey shade of para-politically coloured jam shenanigans"

#8 OFFLINE   ensoniq2k

ensoniq2k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

It's really sad. I'm convinced that they don't like the fact that you need very little maintenance for this kind of car. A gasoline car needs new oil and a lot of checkup on a regular basis. Electric cars only pay off for the customer and the companies don't like that.

I saw the movie, nice documentation of industrial domination over real technical progress. Especially german and american car manufacturers claim their status quo as premium brands with expensive gas guzzling cars. We can't run out of oil soon enough in my opinion. They won't learn their part before that happened.

#9 OFFLINE   Pickle

Pickle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

A reason for producing more electric cars based on the maintenance is bogus. Its all about volume, and the market for hybrids and full electric vehicles is cost.
The main reason is that electric/hybrids are expensive to build more so than their gas counterparts. They require more development and more advanced systems.
Most people are going to pick the cheaper car, which ends up being the gas model. Even with credit from the gov (here in the us) it still isnt more cost effective to buy a hev/bev over the gas.
Hev/bev's wont really start to pick up if parts and development becomes cheaper.

I wish most people would get off the gas bashing, theres a reason why is used. It works and its cheap. The only biproduct is CO2, which is a natural non hazardous element. I personally think the whole climate change is politically motivated without good science or data to back it up.
The so called solution is switching to electric cars, then where does the electricity come from? Coal and Nuclear, which evil energy too. And you will need to use more since everyone has electric vehicles.
Although one bad thing about oil is that I believe the money is going to bad people, which is a reason to consider alternatives to oil and sources to oil.

In my opinion I think we should use every resource available to enable society to produce at our peak. With higher producing society creates wealth and growth that well can enable us to be more efficient, faster, better.

#10 OFFLINE   Caine

Caine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2186 posts
  • Local time: 03:35 PM
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Most people are going to pick the cheaper car, which ends up being the gas model. Even with credit from the gov (here in the us) it still isnt more cost effective to buy a hev/bev over the gas.

I'm not surprised. Gas is extremely cheap in the US.

#11 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

The so called solution is switching to electric cars, then where does the electricity come from? Coal and Nuclear, which evil energy too. And you will need to use more since everyone has electric vehicles.
Although one bad thing about oil is that I believe the money is going to bad people, which is a reason to consider alternatives to oil and sources to oil.

It is still far far more efficient than burning oil though, most electricity in the UK comes from Nuclear and natural gas, delivered not by diesel trucks but by the grid.

I'd also like to make clear I don't really care about the environment - I've only got this car because the deal was so good and I love the elegance and efficiency of electric vehicles.

Now I'm going back out to play in it!

#12 OFFLINE   Caine

Caine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2186 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'm expecting a Top Gear episode, starring Craig :P

#13 OFFLINE   SONY

SONY

PlayStation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8853 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 PM
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria ~ AUSTRALIA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Craig! I'll race you in my Lamborghini Aventador!

See who wins! :D
I'm a proud owner of an OpenPandora Pandora and an nvidia SHIELD.
By the way, please do not view my forum boards profile, as there are quite a few large images being shown.<<< WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK >>>

#14 OFFLINE   Argtrak

Argtrak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Do let us know your top speed and 0-100 in x seconds. I guess you might as well not bother with MPG since it does not apply. :P

#15 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

Do let us know your top speed and 0-100 in x seconds. I guess you might as well not bother with MPG since it does not apply. :P

With the current firmware the car is locked to a 0-60mph time of 9.x seconds, but the 0-30mph is very quick.

I believe without the limiter the car can do the 0-60 in about 6.x seconds, but I don't know if you will ever see that being
available as I think the firmware and mapping is encrypted.

#16 OFFLINE   Fusion_Power

Fusion_Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

I'm so jealous. I wish i could drive such a car with good charging support in germany.

Our Gas driven Car Industry knows how to keep electric cars down so I guess it will take a while until we have more charging stations. ^^"

The advent of the EV1 and the RAV4 EV were awesome cars and its a crime that they scrapped those programs, advertised them so badly and made it almost impossible to rent one, all seemingly on purpose. The Texaco-Chevron group also bought up the patents to produce big enough Li-Ion batteries and then ceased making them in another attempt to stem these cars, seemingly to appease the oil lobby.

I've seen a Documentary about the EV1, pretty sad story actualy. :( Now GM has to invent the (electric) wheel again because of their stupidness back in the past. Always funny to see how Jay Leno drives a over 100 Years old (!!!) full functional electric car ( http://www.jaylenosg...baker-electric/ ) without problems. The battery research could be so much more advanced these days if they developed this sector as much as they did with the Gasoline Motor over 100Years.

rised. Gas is extremely cheap in the US.

they should smell our german gas prices. :D over 1.60€ for 1 Liter gasoline - I bet this would kill half of the US Automobile industry with its senseless SUV fetish. :lol:
I never understood why americans need such big and horsepower doped Cars with enourmous Engines in a Land, where its not even allowed to drive faster than 130 km/h even on Highways. :unsure:
If you want Highways without Speed Limit, come to Germany. ;)

With the current firmware the car is locked to a 0-60mph time of 9.x seconds, but the 0-30mph is very quick.

Cars with firmware, we are really in the Future now. ^^ SOme Firmware hacking anyone? :D

#17 OFFLINE   Argtrak

Argtrak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

I believe without the limiter the car can do the 0-60 in about 6.x seconds, but I don't know if you will ever see that being

Pretty decent. Except for the firmware and mapping being encrypted. <_< How about you guys make an open version as one of your next projects? I would definitely be interested! B)

Any clue about the top speed? Btw, I wonder how much range you'll sacrifice to heating the interior during the winter.

#18 OFFLINE   Pickle

Pickle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

This may not be an efficiency (range), but for driveability. Meaning if they allowed higher pedal accels it could cause the engine to rock or jerk, which the driver could feel or hear. Also could be limited by what current they feel they can pull from the battery.

And i doubt the software and eeprom are encrypted, but there are methods in place to check for data corruption and prevent modification. But if you had the right tools and knowledge you can change them ;-)

#19 OFFLINE   double7

double7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

You will pay that plus of power with battery life. I believe this one is calculated to warranty laws, so you will lose your warranty if you got your firmware modified somehow. How much is a new battery set?
77 - double luck - :D
2008:The year of the preoder. 2009:Pandora - Easter. I believe in easter strongly.
2010:Case Rev.5: Nix Osterhasi! - Nikolausi! - NIKOLAUSIII!!! (What are you waiting for? Christmas?)
2010-Nov:"it could be that most of you will have their unit just before christmas
2010-Dec:"I don't think we'll see too many shipped Pandoras before christmas
2011:Third easter without Pandora. Batch 1 completion in october? That'll be three years.

2012-05-07 A single seven, but a lucky day. After 3y 7m 2d, the second seven, my Pandora is open.

#20 OFFLINE   MarioPandio

MarioPandio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • LocationHalf way up the stair

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

It's really sad. I'm convinced that they don't like the fact that you need very little maintenance for this kind of car. A gasoline car needs new oil and a lot of checkup on a regular basis. Electric cars only pay off for the customer and the companies don't like that.

I saw the movie, nice documentation of industrial domination over real technical progress. Especially german and american car manufacturers claim their status quo as premium brands with expensive gas guzzling cars. We can't run out of oil soon enough in my opinion. They won't learn their part before that happened.

Agreed, the lack of maintenance will kill the whole garage / mechanic trade at the least.

Yet we will need them for battery charging stations, swaps, brake pads and new tyres now and then.

'Qwik Fit' emporia will dominate the world and ebay will be flooded with spare old "new" parts, that are no longer needed to be flashed at clueless folk, as the "bit that was all dodgy in the engine" anymore.

As a by product......Ginsters Pasties will deplete the cattle population quicker (as cheaper fuel means more cash for horrible food), The Rizzla Co will deforest the world (as not having to maintain your car, means idle hands find more smoking time) and something to put with your weed, may always be required unless those electric cigarettes (pretty good), come out in user adaptable cartridges, or at least free tape, pipes and bellows are included.

A reason for producing more electric cars based on the maintenance is bogus. Its all about volume, and the market for hybrids and full electric vehicles is cost.
The main reason is that electric/hybrids are expensive to build more so than their gas counterparts. They require more development and more advanced systems.
Hev/bev's wont really start to pick up if parts and development becomes cheaper.

I wish most people would get off the gas bashing, theres a reason why is used. It works and its cheap. The only biproduct is CO2, which is a natural non hazardous element. I personally think the whole climate change is politically motivated without good science or data to back it up.

In my opinion I think we should use every resource available to enable society to produce at our peak. With higher producing society creates wealth and growth that well can enable us to be more efficient, faster, better.

Correct about the bogus maintenance as any reason to make them. They do require less maintenance at user level and this is a good thing to the consumer, bad for industry. They do cost shed loads more to design and make too, as you say, as we haven't geared ourselves up for their manufacture yet.

Like Pandora, this is small scale shit at the present time but its far better than the past and needs to be embraced.

Most folk will choose the gas car, iPhone etc for now it's true, as they cant afford otherwise and wouldn't part with the cash if they could, unless they can see their neighbour benefiting from such technology, or making their neighbour see its benefits and the reason to turn to it.

Gas Bashing. I love that :) CO2 is I agree harmless.

Human caused climate change is also I agree, utter crap and totally un-backed.

If David Bellamy lost his TV role as a guide for a nations youth (now detritus thru rioting, not rooting thru detritus), over his opposition to IPCC science, and if all of our Politicians are actually behind the AGW scare and requirement to tax everyone to the hilt for breathing, you can be pretty sure its methane.

When do our politicians ever agree, or ever give a shit, unless its lining their pockets? In addition, where are the SUV's on other planets warming them, where would the dinosaurs have been without far higher CO2 levels and resultant plant life explosions that greenhouse cultured plants experience with added CO2 and where would Englands' old Winemakers have been?

Why have we had shed loads of Ice Ages and the Bretons (who? soem lovely mud over here) used to hunt mammoth on a mile of ice above London etc, which at other times was underwater and hence Shark teeth can be pulled out of most UK quarries. Jolly Hockey Sticks.

Switching to electric cars, isn't such a bad idea though.

I agree this will mean additional electric consumption and prices will rise, so those currently getting government relief ("They have all died!"...sadly not) are enjoying the heyday for now.

The cars fuel will of course in large part at least, come from Afghanistan, where Obama himself publicly recognised that huge untapped reserves of Lithium has become available. This will give us the batteries at least, which is why he gave the go ahead, to a new era of green tech (all hail) in some shitty auto-cue speech of his at some point awhile back. Plus he got Osama.

I'm paraphrasing you here but :

"One bad thing about oil, is to consider the alternatives to oil and sources to oil. Use every resource available to enable society."

This is a paramount reason to embrace electric cars.

Even if we have to use nuclear fuel to charge them and deal with its waste in a proper manner (rather than turning it into bullets, tank penetrators, bombs, tank armour, aircraft ballast etc and poisoning the third world with a nuclear legacy of birth defects and genome alterations for the geological lifespan of the planet many, many, many times over) in that what oil there is, if perhaps it is a finite commodity, is surely better saved for good purposes, rather than sitting in traffic. Oil is our age and as fun it may seem, the cars and the outfits and the haircuts and the plot of Mad Max all sucked.

There are some alternatives for our cars though, such as...

"If you must have cars in the future, they can be powered by ZAFC (Zinc Air Fuel Cells), which produce a non toxic by-product Zinc Oxide, which is a kind of viscous, thick, creamy, white substance, which can be recycled into fresh Zinc fuel pellets using electrolysis and Walnut Oil and the Catalyst they are developing at Stanford University, is Therma-Broma-Cocau, or Coca Solids. So the car of the future will drive along powered by Zinc Air Fuel Cells and out the back, will be produced, along a little tray, this thick creamy white substance, surrounded by a whirl of chocolate, with a walnut on top!" Posted Image

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8957268309327954402

38:25 - walnut whip anyone

It is still far far more efficient than burning oil though, most electricity in the UK comes from Nuclear and natural gas, delivered not by diesel trucks but by the grid.

I'd also like to make clear I don't really care about the environment - I've only got this car because the deal was so good and I love the elegance and efficiency of electric vehicles.

Now I'm going back out to play in it!

All burning the midnight oil and no play, makes turning over a new leaf seem dull. p.s Don't roll the leaf, or set it on fire man

I'm expecting a Top Gear episode, starring Craig :P

Please make it more bearable than the Tesla episode. I was all lined up for the Euro Roadster, then the family Model S. Then....

I heard about crash happier Hemp cars being rebuilt, like the original Model T, running on Hemp Oil, with bumpers made from Mushrooms and the dash and wheel from toadstools and I was like...all my plans are up in smoke and belong to them Posted Image
"There comes a time when it makes you so sick at heart that you can no longer take part.... unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from running at all!"

"The transparently pretend friend to animals and definitely not a fkn rat, Shade of Pink (if correctly lewd) RedBaron of nonsense loony round the cream bun and decidedly murky grey shade of para-politically coloured jam shenanigans"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users