Photo

New iCP test firmware v2.1

new nub firmware module

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Test firmware v2.1 with new nub control firmware (33 member(s) have cast votes)

How is the performance of this software?

1. Voted It feels better. (20 votes [60.61%])

Percentage of vote: 60.61%

2. It seems the same to me. (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

3. Voted I think it is worse than before. (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. I don't plan on testing it. I just want to see results. (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

your soo close the up and down are inverted

Okay, I fixed it. That code was written before I finallized the +/- directions for each axis. I had a feeling things might have been wrong. I just put my iCP back together tonight so I tested this one and it works properly.

how do you edit the fw? i want to do some customizations my self :)

You can't. Well, not without erasing the whole chip and just writing your own. The firmware is encrypted with a 256-bit key.

Attached Files

#42 OFFLINE   Dark_Link

Dark_Link

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

ahh well thanks for the fix i can now play mega death worm in icade mode with a nub

#43 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hey, noticed a possible bug in the firmware, running the latest 2.2 with nubs.

For the longest time I was using the abx icade mapping as it was what I knew, and worked great for ages on all my blutrolled apps, but gpsphone was poor played like that, the diagonals had issues due to the stupid onscreen dpad. so took blutrol off (until I can figure out how to properly delete gpsphone from it) and started playing in with aby icade.mapping as its perfect for gpsphone.

However every time i disconnect and reconnect the iCP, it reconnects in abx mode rather than staying in aby mode, but it doesnt need to be re-paired like it normally does changing modes, so every time i want to play I have to start using aby, go in to settings, forget the icp and then re-pair.

Anything you can do about this?

#44 OFFLINE   Dark_Link

Dark_Link

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

when you boot icontrolpad and hold aby it dosnt stick?

#45 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm not sure. On the one hand the button mapping is changing from the aby layout to abx layout, but on the other, it connects automatically without having to forget icp and then re-pair, like I normally have to when changing modes. So my phone thinks its the same mode, but the layout is changed.

#46 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

I will look into this. The two iCade modes don't touch the BT module once in keyboard mode so it must be something right in my main code. If I understand the problem right, a flag is being altered when it shouldn't be. It should only change when buttons are held down at power up. The flag tells the iCP code which mapping to use every time it scans the buttons. It sounds like a one line fix but I just have to check the code and find that line.

EDIT: Okay, seems like an easy fix I had to try. I wasn't even storing the flag to flash memory so it just got lost each power cycle. It really was just a test feature back in the day. I can't believe no one has commented on it since it was released on Dec. 7.

Here's a quick build that should work, but untested by me for now. The button mapping should now persist beyond power cycles but give it a test if you don't mind.

Attached Files

#47 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I only noticed it because I switched from abx to aby, abx always stayed like that, only aby changed.
Can confirm that aby does not switch anymore on 2.2 ver3, thanks for finding that and fixing it so fast!

Edit - not sure if it was affected before, but AX (Special packet mode for vertex blaster) does not change either, good sign that its all working

#48 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I will look into this. The two iCade modes don't touch the BT module once in keyboard mode so it must be something right in my main code. If I understand the problem right, a flag is being altered when it shouldn't be. It should only change when buttons are held down at power up. The flag tells the iCP code which mapping to use every time it scans the buttons. It sounds like a one line fix but I just have to check the code and find that line. EDIT: Okay, seems like an easy fix I had to try. I wasn't even storing the flag to flash memory so it just got lost each power cycle. It really was just a test feature back in the day. I can't believe no one has commented on it since it was released on Dec. 7. Here's a quick build that should work, but untested by me for now. The button mapping should now persist beyond power cycles but give it a test if you don't mind.

Thoroughly tested it in both ABY and AX (analogue aka Vertex Blaster) mode. Reconnects just fine in both modes without any human interaction (incl., firing up Settings, removing the prev. pairing, re-pair it etc.) in both modes - all you need to do is long-pressing "Start" to boot into the last-used mode. In ABY mode, you can dis/reconnect the controller even during playing - even in non-native games requiring BluTrol. (Tested in RR2.)

In addition, it co-exists just fine with natively supported (read: not the first (white, large) Apple Wireless Keyboard) BT keyboards. Both can be connected to the same iDevice at the same time. In games, you can make use of this, should you want to do something strange - for example, make a direction or a key "sticky", like making the guy jump all the time in Mos Speedrun. Of course, there isn't much point in all these right now that controllers still(?) don't support two-player modes. They could consider adding a new, "two-player" mode with different keypress emualtion for the second mode and with a special key combination to switch to be the second (non-standard) controller. It doesn't seem to be very hard to implement either and, unlike with the WiiMote (the only controller supported in multiplayer mode and only in iMAME4All), it would work even without JB.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend the upgrade to this firmware. The lack of having to remove the pairing / re-pair every single time you want to play is a BIG advantage.

#49 OFFLINE   suelznase

suelznase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Are these new firmwares just relevant for iOS or will they bring improvements on android devices aswell?

#50 OFFLINE   warm_concrete

warm_concrete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Reconnects just fine in both modes without any human interaction (incl., firing up Settings, removing the prev. pairing, re-pair it etc.) in both modes - all you need to do is long-pressing "Start" to boot into the last-used mode.

It doesn’t work for me. FW 2.2V3,

AFAIK you have to manually remove and reconnect iCP because non-genuine Chinese Bluetooth chip used in it. That’s why it works that way. Correct me if I’m wrong.

#51 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

It doesn’t work for me. FW 2.2V3,

AFAIK you have to manually remove and reconnect iCP because non-genuine Chinese Bluetooth chip used in it. That’s why it works that way. Correct me if I’m wrong.

You're wrong. The module is made by an American company and there is nothing cheap about it. It also has some customization of the firmware written by me and implemented by this company. Again, nothing cheap about it. Why would you make such a comment?

#52 OFFLINE   warm_concrete

warm_concrete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

You're wrong. The module is made by an American company and there is nothing cheap about it. It also has some customization of the firmware written by me and implemented by this company. Again, nothing cheap about it. Why would you make such a comment?

Sorry, I wasn’t insulting anyone, I must have misread something about Bluetooth modules. But could you explain please, why do we have always delete paired device and search it once more?

#53 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

That's an option I built into my firmware and I can see how I might improve on that for this one case. I have to delete the pairing normally when you change modes because the devices will be confused when it was SPP one minute, then a keyboard the next, then a joystick, etc....

What I can do for firmware v2.3 is to not clear the pairing for the selection between any modes that retain keyboard functionality from the previous mode. That makes sense but for any other modes, I must clear the settings. I will do that in the next day or two and post it here.

#54 OFFLINE   Rotsiser Mho

Rotsiser Mho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

That's an option I built into my firmware and I can see how I might improve on that for this one case. I have to delete the pairing normally when you change modes because the devices will be confused when it was SPP one minute, then a keyboard the next, then a joystick, etc....

What I can do for firmware v2.3 is to not clear the pairing for the selection between any modes that retain keyboard functionality from the previous mode. That makes sense but for any other modes, I must clear the settings. I will do that in the next day or two and post it here.

That would be excellent. Also, thank you for seeing past the numerous trolls around here. There are those that appreciate your hard work! Thanks!

#55 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

Okay, here is version 2.3 for testing. These are the changes since the first release of 2.2 I think:

- The left nub is active as a dpad replacement in all HID keyboard based modes.
- iCade mode will remember which key layout mode it is in between power cycles
- Switching between iCade, keyboard and special packet mode will not require a repairing with your phone as they are all HID keyboard.

If everyone is happy with this, then I will recommend ED upload it to the main site as a new release. We (as in myself plus anyone in this topic who has tested) have done small incremental changes and everything seems stable all along the way. I flashed 2.3 into my unit and gave it a quick test and I never had to leave the Notes application in iOS between modes. The output just changed on screen for each mode. Hopefully others will try it with their games and make sure nothing else got broken. I don't expect anything did.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#56 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

That would be excellent. Also, thank you for seeing past the numerous trolls around here. There are those that appreciate your hard work! Thanks!

Add me to the list of those that do appreciate his hard work! BTW, I've just helped a guy at work order an iCP for him :) And was pretty happy I only paid around 60 pounds for mine back in August, thanks to the TouchArcade sale, given that he paid 80 pounds.

#57 OFFLINE   iceatcs

iceatcs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Excellent work, I tested on 2.3 for gpSPhone in short period. it seem all playable with iCP. I'm sure it is already fixed on 2.2 but I was upgrading from 2.0.

I will keep in touch if any apps cause the problem with this new firmware. Hopefully blutrol able to support SPP mode and dual sticks then I will look more deeper.

#58 OFFLINE   thebib62

thebib62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Sorry for the extremely noob like question but, how do I go about flashing these beta firmware files to my iControllPad?

#59 OFFLINE   Dark_Link

Dark_Link

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

same way as you flash the offical fw but you just replace the file

#60 OFFLINE   Dark_Link

Dark_Link

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

MWeston

The website says that when you charge the iPhone or android device through the control pad it should stay on and charge or you don't have to power it on for it to start charging. For me i have to power it on for it to start charging and it will just shutoff from not being used making it a useless charger :S can you fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users