Photo

New iControlPad game: Vertex Blaster (AKA Super Geometry Dust)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hi everyone,
I figured I should post this here as well, since it's a bit of iCP-specific news, and there are surely a lot of iCP users that only look at the section of the boards. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, since it's posted in the "Other Consoles" section as well. :)

I've updated my iOS game (which is universal) to support iControlPad! It's a twin-stick shooter similar to games like Geometry Wars and Super Star Dust HD. Check it out! :)

http://itunes.apple....73865?ls=1&mt=8

#2 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

This is, as many Pandora owners will know, an excellent game.

#3 OFFLINE   milkshake

milkshake

Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationRotherham, UK

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

hope you will bring some of the new gfx and ideas to the pandora version soon, well done btw made my friend buy this on his ipad and he loved it! :)
minipandalogo.png Pandora Repo - software for your pandora :)

btn_donate_SM.gif If you like my site/contributions, consider donating.
Prometheus.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

hope you will bring some of the new gfx and ideas to the pandora version soon, well done btw made my friend buy this on his ipad and he loved it! :)

I've got another gameplay-focused update that I'm working on now (some cool new features, if I do say so myself). After that I plan to backport everything to the Pandora; I just don't have time to do both at once these days. :)

#5 OFFLINE   milkshake

milkshake

Super Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • LocationRotherham, UK

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

sounds cool to me :) cant wait!
minipandalogo.png Pandora Repo - software for your pandora :)

btn_donate_SM.gif If you like my site/contributions, consider donating.
Prometheus.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   MarioPandio

MarioPandio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • LocationHalf way up the stair

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

Just bought it Wermy and it plays lovely. Just got 439571 for a first go, so my iCP nubs work okay and its just me that sucks :lol:

Quick question though, how do you re-bring up the touchscreen keyboard for entering your name?

As I had to just enter a string of gibberish iCP inputs and start, select etc don't seem to call up the menus, or pause. Might be handy if those buttons could be implemented to pause/menu (start) and call up the keyboard (select, or via an onscreen button on the hi-score entry screen). With the touchscreen over the 'Name' box, you can get a magnifier, select all, select, cut, copy, paste options but you cant enter your actual name it seems (though its likely me being daft). There's also no notification in the menu that the game has actually recognised the iCP, so you only know when you get started and hit the nubs. Just kinda threw me, as I was expecting a dialog of success or otherwise, to acknowledge the iCP as present.

Other than that its sweet and I hope you make some well deserved bucks when the Apple crowd spots your game B)

Gadgetoid has also listed this as iCade mode in the compatibility list, when it really needs A+X Keyboard (special experimental mode) to get recognised (which you had handily included in the in-game ? info).
"There comes a time when it makes you so sick at heart that you can no longer take part.... unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from running at all!"

"The transparently pretend friend to animals and definitely not a fkn rat, Shade of Pink (if correctly lewd) RedBaron of nonsense loony round the cream bun and decidedly murky grey shade of para-politically coloured jam shenanigans"

#7 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

Gadgetoid has also listed this as iCade mode in the compatibility list, when it really needs A+X Keyboard (special experimental mode) to get recognised (which you had handily included in the in-game ? info).

True, that, Added the entry before I fully tested the game.

The iControlPad analogue nubs work like a dream. Unfortunately I'm terrible at playing the game, no matter what controls I use.

Gadgetoid.com - Tech reviews 'n' stuff!

#8 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

Quick question though, how do you re-bring up the touchscreen keyboard for entering your name?

Check the testing section. I just uploaded firmware 2.1a that allows toggling the onscreen board in this mode.

#9 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

Thanks, MWeston! I'll give it a go now. :)

MarioPandio: You're absolutely right, it should have some kind of notification. I'll throw it in the next update.

I'm glad it seems to be working well with the iCP for everyone! :)

#10 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

There is a thread about this at Toucharcade, everyone who likes this game on the Pandora or the iPhone should go and say so on the thread as every day that thread stays live Wermy gets more sales and support.

http://forums.toucha...ad.php?t=104188

#11 OFFLINE   MarioPandio

MarioPandio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • LocationHalf way up the stair

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the replies and not taking it as criticism but feedback. Great game and yes it plays really well on the iCP and looks great on the iTouch. I was just kinda "how the bejezus do I enter my name?"

I'll check out the new firmware tomorrow via the wifes laptop as I don't have bluetooth on mine :)
"There comes a time when it makes you so sick at heart that you can no longer take part.... unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from running at all!"

"The transparently pretend friend to animals and definitely not a fkn rat, Shade of Pink (if correctly lewd) RedBaron of nonsense loony round the cream bun and decidedly murky grey shade of para-politically coloured jam shenanigans"

#12 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:00 AM

MarioPandio: If you have GameCenter enabled and are signed in, it should auto-fill the name entry field with your Game Center ID. :)

#13 OFFLINE   icedtrip

icedtrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 PM
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Picked this up last night and played for a solid hour. Great game! I love Geometry Wars, so this is a great alternative! Nubs on the iCP work great using MWeston's 2.1a firmware!

#14 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Just purchased the game. Works great with iCP FW version 2.0. However, Just remember it only utilizes the two analogue sticks.

I could only connect via the traditional A+B+X, NOT A+X power-up as is explained in the inline help of the game.

#15 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Just purchased the game. Works great with iCP FW version 2.0. However, Just remember it only utilizes the two analogue sticks.

I could only connect via the traditional A+B+X, NOT A+X power-up as is explained in the inline help of the game.

Interesting, I can only use the nubs using A+X, as that's how to get into the special packet mode that spits out nub data... :blink:

Edit: And btw, version 1.5.0 is complete and should be out soon! :)

#16 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

Interesting, I can only use the nubs using A+X, as that's how to get into the special packet mode that spits out nub data... :blink:

Edit: And btw, version 1.5.0 is complete and should be out soon! :)

Sorry, my mistake. It was A+X. I just got confused a bit as I'm a newbie to iControlPad and its different modes and was pretty confused at first by my iOS 5 iPad 2 not recognising my iCP after switching it to another mode, between A+X+B and A+X. Now I know how to switch between them, that is, the iCad (A+X+B ) and the native iCP (A+X) control mode:

If you want to switch from an iOS game that only supports iCad to one that requires iCP (or vice versa), you will need to remove the pairing under Settings/General/Bluetooth and, after powering down and, then, restarting iCP in the new mode, re-pairing it by tapping it in the BT device list when it is detected. After this, you'll be able to directly start the games:

- iCad-compatible ones work without any additional settings / connections (tested with Speedrun, Space Inversion and Mega Worm; all work just great with the digital D-pad and the fire buttons)

- iCP-compatible ones (e.g., Vertex Blaster with the two analogue joysticks) need to be connected from inside the app before playing.

#17 OFFLINE   stouffa

stouffa

Advanced Member

• Supporter
  • 1171 posts
  • LocationWaterford, Ireland

Donator

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

is Vertex blaster the only iOS game so far that uses ICP mode specifically? also when I start the game should just clicking on the Icontrolpad button be enough to initialise it, or do you get some onscreen confirmation that it has worked? (would you connect an Icade similarly but using the joypad button?). I'm waiting for a replacement dpad membrane to be sent out, be nice to get some fun out of my new ICP properly in the meantime!!

#18 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

is Vertex blaster the only iOS game so far that uses ICP mode specifically? also when I start the game should just clicking on the Icontrolpad button be enough to initialise it, or do you get some onscreen confirmation that it has worked? (would you connect an Icade similarly but using the joypad button?). I'm waiting for a replacement dpad membrane to be sent out, be nice to get some fun out of my new ICP properly in the meantime!!

The next update (which is in review now) has a notification to let you know it connected successfully. :)
Also: You have to pair with it in the bluetooth settings before going in the game and hitting "connect"

#19 OFFLINE   stouffa

stouffa

Advanced Member

• Supporter
  • 1171 posts
  • LocationWaterford, Ireland

Donator

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well I got this working properly now, why I couldn't get it to work before turns out to be a bit foolish on my side! After opening up my ICP to examine the membrane, I ended up puttingsone of the action buttons back in the wrong place, so to activate icade mode I was pressing the right series of buttons but not for when I wanted to press a and x!!:$

Anyway Vertex Blaster plays like a dream with the nubs!! The ICP feels really dinky in my hands after being used to the Pandora but the roughened texture on the plastic finish makes it feel oddly stronger? Is there any talk of using this on the Pandora itself? I think itd be a cool look that'd differentiate the Pandora from looking so much like a DS at least!:)

#20 OFFLINE   wermy

wermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Well I got this working properly now, why I couldn't get it to work before turns out to be a bit foolish on my side! After opening up my ICP to examine the membrane, I ended up puttingsone of the action buttons back in the wrong place, so to activate icade mode I was pressing the right series of buttons but not for when I wanted to press a and x!!:$

Anyway Vertex Blaster plays like a dream with the nubs!! The ICP feels really dinky in my hands after being used to the Pandora but the roughened texture on the plastic finish makes it feel oddly stronger? Is there any talk of using this on the Pandora itself? I think itd be a cool look that'd differentiate the Pandora from looking so much like a DS at least! :)

Glad you got it working, and even more glad you're liking it! :)

I agree, the finish on the iControlPad does feel nicer than that of the Pandora. I still dream of an aluminum-cased Pandora... :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users