#1 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

I've played quite a bit with the current (sept. 7.) Xcode version (compiled for Release) on my non-jailbroken iPad 2 running iOS5 b7 together with my iCP.

I've found out the following:

- in some games, you WILL want to use iCade mode; otherwise, the game will be just unplayably slow. An example of this is R-Type 2. If you enable iCP mode (as is the default in iMAME), even using the digital D-Pad will result in major choppiness, let alone the analogue sticks. If you use the latter, the game becomes unplayable (1-2 fps in some cases meaning you'll die ASAP.)

- less demanding games like Zaxxon (ROMNATION version) or even R-Type I – Japanese version (also from ROMNATION) work just fine in iCP mode and with the analogue joystick.

- as far as NeoGeo is concerned, Metal Slug 2 works better than under FB on an Xscale 255-based Windows Mobile-based 624 MHz Dell Axim x51v. The framerate is the same (choppy but still playable) but there are no audio problems, unlike on WinMo. This is certainly good news and a pleasant surprise – I've expected far worse. (Tested this in strictly iCade mode; there, iCP was perfectly usable to control all aspects of the game.) Of course, all this was on the powerhouse iPad 2 – I don't think MS2 is playable on lesser hardware.

All in all, if you do own an iCP, go get the emulator, even if you don't JB your iPad 2.

#2 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the post Menneisyys, but there are a few things you've said i don't understand... Hoping you can clarify:

1) how exactly are you installing imame4all without a jailbreak?

2) What do you mean by "...work just fine in iCP mode and with the analogue joystick"? Are you able to use the analogue nubs in an "ICP native" pairing mode? My understanding was that icp support in imame4all was only via icade pairing mode, which gives only digital controls.

#3 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts
  • Local time: 02:03 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

I assume he is a developer so he can sign and run the app himself, however I'm also confused about why the iCP would slow things down?

#4 OFFLINE   dappa

dappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

I tell you something i've noticed when playing Imame4all, with the onscreen controls and with the icontrolpad in Icade mode.

When using the onscreen controls certain games, especially the more graphically intensive ones I find the games can lag real badly from time to time, but if I use the icontrolpad to play the games I have no issues with lag onscreen.

Regarding installing imame4all without a jailbreak I heard its possible but you have to go through a load of mumbo jumbo to do it, I cant remember where I saw the article about it, but if i see it will link it on here.

On another note about Imame4all I would like to ask you all what roms you have working as mame4all uses a old romset. The app states in its changelog and on its website that over 2000 roms can work for the app even some roms which are not on the working rom list supplied with the app.

I have a lot of roms installed but am interested in knowing if anyone on here has some real graphically intensive games like virtua racing etc working or any roms which are not mentioned on the working roms list.

#5 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

Although installation without jailbreak is a curiosity, of much greater importance to me is my second question about knowing if it's possible to use the ICP nubs as analog controls within imame4all, as that is one of the few things that remain on my "wishlist".

Anyone?

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts
  • Local time: 02:03 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Although installation without jailbreak is a curiosity, of much greater importance to me is my second question about knowing if it's possible to use the ICP nubs as analog controls within imame4all, as that is one of the few things that remain on my "wishlist".

Anyone?

Thanks.

Only if the MAME dev supports it, there are not many analogue games in MAME, what did you have in mind? Something like Outrun?

#7 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

True, it is a minority, but there are a few (58 to be exact). Including: Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, super hang-on, Outrun, Space Harrier, food fight, paperboy, hydra, irobot...and a few notable driving games.

#8 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

I assume he is a developer so he can sign and run the app himself, however I'm also confused about why the iCP would slow things down?

Only in the special "packet" mode, not in iCade mode. The iCP support mode may not be optimized. I'll check it out tonight and try to improve it.

True, it is a minority, but there are a few (58 to be exact). Including: Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, super hang-on, Outrun, Space Harrier, food fight, paperboy, hydra, irobot...and a few notable driving games.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll check out these games too.

#9 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Outdated post, please see the one below.

#10 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Regarding installing imame4all without a jailbreak I heard its possible but you have to go through a load of mumbo jumbo to do it, I cant remember where I saw the article about it, but if i see it will link it on here.

You'll need to follow the mini-tutorial in the section "iMame4All project for non-jailbroken iPads" at http://www.lesbird.c...4All_Xcode.html

Generally, all you need to do is follow the tutorial I've just posted to http://boards.openpa...4all-for-xcode/

#11 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Could you povide more info on these games (version / URL etc?)? Of the bunch, I've only found Hydra ( Romnation id=23299 ) to really depend on the analogue controller (the game is plain unplayable with the D-pad: you just can't steer the ship.)

Note that I haven't had any speed or other problems with this title when using the nubs, unlike with R-Type II (or Star Wars, see below).

The rest I've downloaded from rom-world was either 1, incompatible; 2, missing some files; 3, not having any advantage of using the analogue joystick. All tested under the Xcode version of iMame x.10, running on iOS5 / iPad 2.

I, Robot 85.00 KB id=23203 (no advantage in using the analogue?): works

Star Wars id=21400 (no advantage in using the analogue): major slowdown and, finally, disconnection

Star Wars Trilogy id=36777 989.12 KB: non-compatible
Star Wars Arcade 14.49 MB id=35896 : non-compatible

Space Harrier id=21648 : missing file ERROR
Space Harrier (8751 315-5163) id=42324 : non-compatible

Paperboy (rev 1) 97.18 KB id=22122 : non-compatible
Paperboy (rev 2) 31.50 KB id=22121 : non-compatible
Paperboy (rev 3) 272.34 KB id=22361 : missing file ERROR

#12 OFFLINE   MarioPandio

MarioPandio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1379 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM
  • LocationHalf way up the stair

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

No offense meant and I´m not a moderator but you should remove the various links to roms that you´ve posted, as it could get the community/forum hosts in trouble. I think its fine to reference them and your findngs but not actually link to their downloads.
"There comes a time when it makes you so sick at heart that you can no longer take part.... unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from running at all!"

"The transparently pretend friend to animals and definitely not a fkn rat, Shade of Pink (if correctly lewd) RedBaron of nonsense loony round the cream bun and decidedly murky grey shade of para-politically coloured jam shenanigans"

#13 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

No offense meant and I´m not a moderator but you should remove the various links to roms that you´ve posted, as it could get the community/forum hosts in trouble. I think its fine to reference them and your findngs but not actually link to their downloads.

Done - removed the links, only kept the unique ID's so that it's clear which version I refer to.

#14 OFFLINE   Les Bird

Les Bird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys,

I'm the one who setup the iMame4all project for non-jailbroken iPads and iPhones. It's really easy to do if you're a developer. Just download the project from my website then build using Xcode. Copy all the ROMs to your device using iTunes File Sharing and you're done. It's all explained on my website. I also plugged in support for the iControlPad in special packet mode so you can use the nubs for games like Robotron. The problem though is that in this mode the iControlPad sends a lot of data when the nubs are moved and the iPad and iPhone have a hard time keeping up. In iCade mode it's not an issue because you get one byte when a button is pressed and one byte when it is released.

Menneisyys, if you manage to improve performance let me know of the code changes so I can update the project.

I recommend playing iMame4all with the iControlPad in "iCade" mode and then when the prompt comes up for device selection pick "iCade" instead of "iControlPad".

- Les
http://www.lesbird.c...4All_Xcode.html

#15 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Ahhhhh ok now it's finally sinking in. This is actially a separate build of iMame4all with added ICP support. Sorry i was unfamiliar with the build and wasn't understandimg how the analog support was working.

Menneisyys and Les,I'm not a developer and dont have a mac to run the compile process on. Is there any possibility to post a compiled deb package of the build that can be installed on a jailbroken phone?

Thanks for any info!

#16 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Ahhhhh ok now it's finally sinking in. This is actially a separate build of iMame4all with added ICP support. Sorry i was unfamiliar with the build and wasn't understandimg how the analog support was working.

Menneisyys and Les,I'm not a developer and dont have a mac to run the compile process on. Is there any possibility to post a compiled deb package of the build that can be installed on a jailbroken phone?

Thanks for any info!

In that case, it's the best to install it right from Cydia. Have you enabled it?

EDIT: I'll create an alternative Cydia vesion tomorrow with iCP enabled.

#17 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for that Menneisyys. Needless to say I'm eager to try it. ;-) Please let me know if I need to add any particular source url in Cydia to access the package.

BTW, a quick note on ROMs. Forgive me if this is obvious, but keep in mind that current romsets will likely not work, as iMame4all is based on an older MAME build (37b5 as i recall?), and romsets change frequently as better dumps are available or the sets are better organized and indexed by the mame team. Be sure to use CLRMAME PRO and the correct mame dat file to verify your sets before you even bother to try to run them. I'm almost positive some of the sets you mention ( like star wars trilogy) were not even emulated (or at least functional) in mame yet at that time. You can also download the old version of mame for your computer and try it out as a sanity check... All the previous binaries are available on the official mame.net site.

So far, every game i have mentioned has worked fine in imame4all. Out of respect for Mario's post, I won't go into detail about where to find roms, but torrents are the best option in my experience (hope that's not inappropriate to say)

Thanks!

#18 OFFLINE   Dphoba

Dphoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

OK, just verified the games I mentioned. In fact, ALL work fine in iMame4All, with these notes:

- Super Hang-on - must use "bootleg" set
- Hang-on also works, but I did not include it on the list above.
- Paperboy and Hydra - run fine, but give notification of gameplay issues due to incomplete slapstic emulation

I have to say, I remember attempting to run I, robot on an old 486-class PC and it was TOTALLY unplayable because it was so slow. It blows my mind that it runs smoothly on a handheld device now!!

#19 OFFLINE   Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for that Menneisyys. Needless to say I'm eager to try it. ;-) Please let me know if I need to add any particular source url in Cydia to access the package

It's on its way... unfortunately, the original source code (not that of Les Bird - I've found it far easier to just backport his iCP-specific additions to the original code because the latter is specifically meant for jailbroken devices with full access to the system) has a lot of problems for plain Xcode compilation / deployment (which is needed for .DEB creation) I need to clean up. Just an example: shared.h has the UUID wired-in, meaning it just won't work on other iPhones than that of the original author when deploying right from Xcode (not via Cydia). In addition, there're a lot of other issues to fix.

BTW, my experimental Cydia package is in my own Cydia repository (also hosting some of my other iPhone 3gs/4-specific Cydia hacks): http://www.winmobiletech.com/cy/ . The current version of iMame crashes there so don't bother much with it; I'm just providing the URL so that anyone can see it still needs a bit of work to get it running.

#20 OFFLINE   dappa

dappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

Can anyone tell me if they have tried ultimate mortal kombat 3 or mortal kombat 3 for this version of mame, if you look in the supplied help file that comes with mame it says that this rom works with imame4all on the working roms list.

I found a website which has the working romsets for imame4all and all roms i've tried so far work a treat apart from umk3, the emulator just exits back to the spring board on my iphone.

I have a suspicion it could be phone related rather than the actual emulator not being compatible.

I use a iphone 3gs so if anyone has got this rom to work would be great to here if you got it working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users