#1 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 11:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Just been over at pocketgamer, the nice chaps who only noticed last week that the icontrolpad was even released, and they have put up an article about a complete ripoff of the icontrolpad, and fail to mention it at all throughout the whole text?

Granted they are advertising to android rather than ios and android, and fail because they have no analogue nubs, but still, should something not be done about this.

have a look here at the imitator http://www.pocketgam...ews.asp?c=35266

also I love the second paragraph "That's why a Swedish company called Fructel came up with the idea of creating the Gametel gamepad, which can be attached and detached at will, so you only need to have the gamepad when you want to play a game." lol

#2 OFFLINE   Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid

Gadgetoid.com

• Moderators
  • 1853 posts
  • Local time: 12:58 PM
  • LocationNorwich, UK

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Like what they've done with the shoulder buttons, and want to get my hands on one to see how it stacks up to the iControlPad.

Lack of analogue sticks is a pretty fatal mistake, as these will really hit home once iOS/Android support picks up for analogue on the iCP. After all, you can't replace on-screen dual analogue with a D-Pad.

It would be worth trying to jump on this, and get PocketGamer to clarify that this company is simply copypasting the iControlPad, and that our baby is a product which is shipping *now* and compatible with iOS.

The clamp looks wonderfully overcomplicated... and I doubt the ruggedness of the Gametel pad.

Gadgetoid.com - Tech reviews 'n' stuff!

#3 OFFLINE   Blue Protoman

Blue Protoman

Shaken, not stirred.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 AM
  • LocationLong Island, NY, USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Can someone post more info in the thread itself, with images on Imgur? The site is blocked at my school.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Heres another preview, this one might not be blocked... http://www.pocket-li...ngerless-gaming

or if in doubt http://www.gametel.se/

Just so you know - im not advertising it, I personally think its too bulky and dont like the sound of having to download a driver for it to work. also lack of iOS means its not for me anyway.

Again no mention of icontrolpad in the whole article.

From reading through I can make out that it only works on android, needs a driver to connect (doesn't icontrolpad work as standard?), has an expanding, rubberised clamp to hold the phone around the middle, says can take phones up to 4.2 inches, no sticks, a lot thicker than icontrolpad but that allows the shoulders to go on top of the device rather than round the back, battery of 250 mAh (Ahahahahahahahahahahaha 1/5th of icp), can have multiple pads connected to 1 phone or tablet for multiplayer, and doesnt support iOS.

Hope that helps

Can you guys not sue them or something, everything it does is copied from icp, and then theres all the other stuff icp does better.

#5 OFFLINE   skeezix

skeezix

Advanced Member

• Official OpenPandora Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 2556 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

"rip off" would probably not be accurate; I mean, folks have been making game pad addons for phones and PDAs and such for a good 15 years, its really a common thing. This one does _look_ an _awful_ lot like the iCP, but at the same time the iCP is all 'standard' SNES inspired controls and all, so its to be expected. (I'd be more willing to throw the term 'ripoff' around if they'd added analogs or the like, but we know the analogs are real money to design and build, so no one else is crazy-awesome enough :)

I'd be more inclined to call it 'competition'.

jeff

#6 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

Lawyers already contacted, I'm pretty sure our IP covers this rip off.

#7 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'd further appreciate it if you could all mention the iCP in any comments section of these websites and also email the journalist who posted the article.

Also, if any of you want a nub free, hugely reduced battery life iCP I'm sure we can make one.

#8 OFFLINE   lumothesinner

lumothesinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Competition it may be, but if they have managed to get some publicity and manage to steal any sales from icp with an inferior product that might be using icps patents i will be upset. icp doesnt have the recognition it deserves anyway, and pocketgamer didnt exactly help, they reviewed it ok, but only posted about its release at the start of november, and only showed pics of the back clamp, not the better looking side clamps, so it got a bad reaction. now they write an article about a competitor and dont even mention the original?

#9 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

I met them at WWDC '11, and one of the engineers seemed like a nice enough chap. He just recently sent me a demo with iCADE support. Build quality of the grip seems solid enough, but time will be ultimate test.

I'm particularly disappointed to see a pissing match starting, because you are small companies with limited resources. Wasting time on this kind of stuff never ends well and removes the focus from building great products. Competition in this space was inevitable. I am aware that Belkin is also producing a mobile controller, and the GameBone from a bloke in Sydney, Australia was announced a couple of years ago. He was going the MFi way, which has been a battle to say the least.

What would be killer right now is to produce a BT 4.0 (LE) version that should (in theory) work natively with the latest iOS devices without the need for an SDK, jailbreaking or any other hacks. I will volunteer my time for free to be your official iOS SDK developer if you need some help.
manomio | in retro we trust!

#10 OFFLINE   Mr Rob

Mr Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 AM
  • LocationFargo, North Dakota, USA.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

One, two, three, four, I declare a patent war!

But seriously, how do IP laws and the like work when you start talking international law? Does the EU have a standard set of laws that all affiliated nations comply with?
:wq

#11 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

I met them at WWDC '11, and one of the engineers seemed like a nice enough chap. He just recently sent me a demo with iCADE support. Build quality of the grip seems solid enough, but time will be ultimate test.

I'm particularly disappointed to see a pissing match starting, because you are small companies with limited resources. Wasting time on this kind of stuff never ends well and removes the focus from building great products. Competition in this space was inevitable. I am aware that Belkin is also producing a mobile controller, and the GameBone from a bloke in Sydney, Australia was announced a couple of years ago. He was going the MFi way, which has been a battle to say the least.

What would be killer right now is to produce a BT 4.0 (LE) version that should (in theory) work natively with the latest iOS devices without the need for an SDK, jailbreaking or any other hacks. I will volunteer my time for free to be your official iOS SDK developer if you need some help.

It does not concern you that they seem to think they have a patent for their device and that it's obviously a clone of the iCP?

#12 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

It does not concern you that they seem to think they have a patent for their device and that it's obviously a clone of the iCP?

Absolutely does mate, and I plan to email him about it. Given he's an engineer, he may not even know it's going on? I am sorry if it wasn't clear, as I am not at all pointing the finger at iCP and your team. Just disappointed that you all can't be left to your devices (pardon the pun) and build great products.

I've been following software patent suits and related news for some time, and it is all counter to innovation and progress. I certainly see the value of patents in hardware design, but that is a completely difference process that requires a much greater investment.

I too would like to see exactly what they have 'patented' with regards to a game controller.

#13 ONLINE   Fusion_Power

Fusion_Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2169 posts
  • Local time: 01:58 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

Lawyers already contacted, I'm pretty sure our IP covers this rip off.

Doesn't makes sense I guess. This device looks different and has a different clamp mechanic, it has no analog nubs too. I've seen more similar looking devices wehen it comes to China Handheld rip ofs of PSP & Co. And nobody sued them successfuly. ^^

#14 OFFLINE   Craigix

Craigix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4566 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Absolutely does mate, and I plan to email him about it. Given he's an engineer, he may not even know it's going on? I am sorry if it wasn't clear, as I am not at all pointing the finger at iCP and your team. Just disappointed that you all can't be left to your devices (pardon the pun) and build great products.

I've been following software patent suits and related news for some time, and it is all counter to innovation and progress. I certainly see the value of patents in hardware design, but that is a completely difference process that requires a much greater investment.

I too would like to see exactly what they have 'patented' with regards to a game controller.

What do you think is innovative about their product?

It seems to me they looked at the iCP and thought, 'yeah, that's a good idea, let's copy it'.

#15 OFFLINE   EvilDragon

EvilDragon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7518 posts
  • LocationIngolstadt

Donator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

I wonder - do the games they recommend on their page work out-of-the box with the iControlPad as well?

Got some spare bitcoins and you want to support me?
Send them here: 1JFMx842TLW8sLKS3gn7kcLsNbXcLqXupK

#16 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

What do you think is innovative about their product?

It seems to me they looked at the iCP and thought, 'yeah, that's a good idea, let's copy it'.

The idea of a spring-loaded clamp is not new, though it appears to secure the device well in the pre-release model I have and is quick to install a device.

Otherwise, there is little that is innovative about a wireless d-pad game controller, given the Gametel itself is based on plenty of prior art and again why I question how they could have a valid patent. It is
  • based on a design that has been around for over 30 years and
  • using wireless technology to communicate with a host to play games, which was really mainstreamed in a controller released by WaveBird for Nintendo about 10 years ago.
Cheers,

Stu

I wonder - do the games they recommend on their page work out-of-the box with the iControlPad as well?

Apparently they are not supporting iOS even though the build I received has an iCADE mode.

#17 OFFLINE   skeezix

skeezix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2556 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Lawyering up isn't really pleasant, hopefully an amicable solution can be had. (Certainly, I don't think they can patent anything, theres nothign new going on there.. its a 20 year old design, excepting perhaps the clamp; but that clamp has been done before too, years ago.) Competition is not against the law, nor a bad thing; its fun to be a 'monopoly' in a small space, but it doesn't last, and thats just a fact of life. If they try to lawyer up, you have to as well, but lets avoid a nuclear arms race hopefully :/ Still, C is the one with $$ on the line, not us!

(By the same token, maybe lawyering up and hammering on your chest is also a legitimate business tactic, but as an engineer mentality, I never liked ot go there; I run from lawyers instead :)

I'm thinking.. MAdKats and 3700 other companies make replacement PS2 PS3 Xbox / etc controllers, or alternate controllers; they don't go sueing each other. Its just what they do, same as iCP does.

jeff

#18 OFFLINE   EvilDragon

EvilDragon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7518 posts
  • LocationIngolstadt

Donator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Apparently they are not supporting iOS even though the build I received has an iCADE mode.

I meant the Android games :)

Got some spare bitcoins and you want to support me?
Send them here: 1JFMx842TLW8sLKS3gn7kcLsNbXcLqXupK

#19 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

I meant the Android games :)

My mistake :)

#20 OFFLINE   McLovin

McLovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

make sure the devices are compatible and everyone's a winner, baby
Spread the word! Pandora Gaming Community started on freenode:
#pandoralobby; #pandoralobby-discussion; #pandoralobby-paperwars; etc.
General Password: open

The black RedBaron of where the ocean meets the sand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users