• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Got my shiny new iControlPad today and I'm really enjoying it on my LG Optimus 2X but I was hoping to use it as a PC control pad as well and that's where it falls down somewhat.

It connects to the PC fine but I can only get Windows 7 to see it as a keyboard or a serial device. It won't detect it as a joystick, gamepad or mouse and, when detected, gives me some keyboard options and not a lot else.

So I figured maybe a firmware upgrade would be an idea, but no such luck. I hold down select and start for a couple of seconds, it switches on with the light on, connects to the PC, then I run the firmware upgrade. I've tried both the firmware upgrade applications I could find and the result is the same, the iCP just switches itself off once the PC connects to it.

It looks like this:

iControlPad firmware updater 1.2.0 by Robert Broglia
Loaded 18712 byte firmware...
Starting Bluetooth scan...
#0 name: iControlPad-D08E
Using this device...
Connecting to 00:06:66:45:D0:8E...
Uploading firmware...
Writing frame 0: 0x0+0x94, 0%
Error reading back response from device

It also appears to disconnect instantly if I open a serial console on the port when it's connected in firmware upgrade mode. If I connect with SPP mode, I can get a console on it and managed to find that its current firmware is 2.2.

I have tested the firmware upgrade on my desktop running Windows 7 x64 and on my netbook running Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows XP. The result is always the same.

Any fix or do I have a defective unit? I lack both the tools and the talent to open it and tinker inside and, with firmware upgrades not working, I'm not sure what else I can do with this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oh, and this may also be relevant. If I try and change the mode, it takes a long time. It powers on in a couple of seconds, but doesn't do the three flashes for about ten seconds (though, contrary to my first thoughts, it does do it without me holding the buttons down forever).

Incidentally both keyboard modes work fine (including the experimental packet mode). I have determined this by clicking on a text box and pressing buttons.

#2 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Shameless bump! Am I the only one experiencing this?

#3 OFFLINE   Rocky5

Rocky5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I had this, it was my Bluetooth service that wasn't running, I had disabled it :$ long ago when removed non essential services.

Just make sure that service is running.

#4 OFFLINE   MWeston

MWeston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

It does sound like the issue with your computer caching BT connection data and not connecting properly when the HID/SPP mode is changed. You always have to clear out the settings before changing modes. The iCP only handles clearing out its own data.

#5 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Did that. Also tried connecting it to a different computer running Linux. Same problem.

#6 OFFLINE   Beefington

Beefington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hello there.

Received mine this morning. Nearly the same problem.
Tried flashing under Suse and seven 64, with versions 1.0.1a and 2.0 so far.
Mine says :

"Uploading firmware..."
"Writing frame 0: 0x0+0x94, 0%"
"CRC error, please verify your firmware file and try again"

Plus, I had to let it charge for a good ten hours before it accepted to turn on.
Whelp. At least the SSP mode is working well.

Edit : Actually, having tried multiple flashers and firmwares together on a variety of systems, I get the exact same symptoms, not just CRC errors. Maybe it's tied to the last batch of iCPs.

Incidentaly, is there a way to check what firmware version is installed? I remember reading about one, can't seem to find it anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Incidentaly, is there a way to check what firmware version is installed? I remember reading about one, can't seem to find it anymore.

Yeah, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. You can telnet in and it responds to a certain key with the firmware. If you find out how to do it, check and see if it's the same as mine. My firmware's 2.2.

#8 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Right. Found it. Character code 0x39 will get it to respond with the version number (I think).

So:
  • Connect it to your PC in SPP mode (Y).
  • Find out which COM port it's been assigned.
  • Get a serial console on that port (PuTTY does a fine job of this with the "Serial" connection type).
  • Press "9" on your keyboard (which, I believe, corresponds to 0x39).
I'm guessing the response you get will be 2.2. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Beefington

Beefington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Well, guess what. I downloaded a RS232 terminal called termite, because i've obviously got no idea of what I'm doing. And bam.

Posted Image

In the meantime I tried upgrading the fw on a variety of systems, with three different dongles. Either I'm missing something, or my iCP isn't cooperating.

I also tried sending it commands in update mode like you did, same as when updating, it immediately turns itself off.

Edit : Derp. I just realized it corresponds with ASCII codes since I'm using a terminal. Whatever, it interpreted the 9 regardless.

By the way, I guess it's worth mentionning : no matter how long I let the iCP plugged in, the red LED won't turn off.

#10 OFFLINE   Morti

Morti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

In the meantime I tried upgrading the fw on a variety of systems, with three different dongles. Either I'm missing something, or my iCP isn't cooperating.

I also tried sending it commands in update mode like you did, same as when updating, it immediately turns itself off.

Edit : Derp. I just realized it corresponds with ASCII codes since I'm using a terminal. Whatever, it interpreted the 9 regardless.

By the way, I guess it's worth mentionning : no matter how long I let the iCP plugged in, the red LED won't turn off.

All of this is exactly the same behaviour as mine.

The inability to update firmware (at all) is worrying, means that there's probably not an awful lot we can do to fix this.

When did you receive yours? I'm considering requesting a return but if you got yours recently then I expect I might end up with another dodgy one.

Edit: Oh, yesterday. Hm.

So what do we do with the broken bootloader? Anyone from iCP HQ got any advice?

#11 OFFLINE   Beefington

Beefington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

I am having way too much fun with that thing. Last thing I managed to do is getting it stuck in HID controller mode.

I don't know if it's in joystick or gamepad mode, actually, but it's still usable with Windows. I played RE4 for a bit with it.

Hopefully it's reproductible, if you want to try and get yours stuck too.

The steps I followed were :
1 - resetting it with A + B + X + Y
2 - turning it off
3 - turning it on with A + B, expecting HID mouse
At this point, for some reason, it appeared as an HID controller in the bluetooth devices manager. Buttons wouldn't work though.
4 - off
5 - turning it on with X held down, for joystick mode.
Works fine, and SSP too. Can't get it recognized as a keyboard anymore, however, even when resetting it.

#12 OFFLINE   mr.miyagi

mr.miyagi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • LocationCopenhagen - Denmark

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

#morti

How Do you connect the Icontrolpad to your optimus 2x?, i can't get it connected. when i'm going into the system bluetooth settings and try to connect to the icontrolpad then it just says "paired but not connected"

i have done everything but nothing seems to work.
i tried the things from this thread:
http://boards.openpa...__fromsearch__1

#13 OFFLINE   Beefington

Beefington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Final update :
For those who might have a problem similar to mine, I'll just say that I requested a RMA.
New iCP was just sent today.

#14 OFFLINE   sclose

sclose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hi there, do you have an update on this? Did your new unit fix the problem? I can't flash my ICP that I recieved yesterday - it's giving me the exact same errors you were getting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users